St Johnstone 1 - 4 Dundee Utd

League - Premier Division
Saturday, March 20th, 1993, 3:00 PM at McDiarmid Park
Attendance: 4,510
Referee: Bobby Orr (Kilbarchan)
St Johnstone Dundee Utd

Liam Dunne (30) Jim McInally (14)
Michael O'Neill (29)
Paddy Connolly (59)
John O'Neil (69)

Team Managers
John McClelland Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Andy Rhodes
David Byrne
Paul Deas
Kevin McGowne
Gary McGinnis
Ian Redford
Allan Moore
John Davies
Paul Wright
Liam Dunne
Tommy Turner
Alan Main
Mark Perry
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Jim McInally
John Clark
Billy McKinlay
Michael O'Neill
Paddy Connolly
Scott Crabbe
Duncan Ferguson

Paul Kinnaird
John McClelland
David Hannah
John O'Neil

John McClelland for Gary McGinnis (60)
Paul Kinnaird for David Byrne (70)
John O'Neil for Scott Crabbe (55)
David Hannah for Michael O'Neill (84)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 146 apps -
Mark Perry 17 apps1 goal
Maurice Malpas 578 apps19 goals
Dave Narey 854 apps36 goals
Jim McInally 296 apps20 goals
John Clark 305 apps34 goals
Billy McKinlay 182 apps8 goals
Michael O'Neill 71 apps13 goals
Paddy Connolly 84 apps23 goals
Scott Crabbe 21 apps4 goals
Duncan Ferguson 86 apps34 goals
John O'Neil (sub) 74 apps6 goals
David Hannah (sub) 3 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Duncan Ferguson (21 years 89 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (36 years 290 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 90 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:David Hannah (19 years 233 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (36 years 290 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 142 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Two successive defeats at the hands of St Johnstone made us determined to atone for those results and this was reflected in the manner in which we set about achieving our biggest ever Premier win over Saints in Perth. It was a defensive slip up which enabled us to go ahead. Dunne played the ball square, but only to Paddy Connolly. He slipped the ball to Jim McInally who clipped the ball over the despairing body of Rhodes into the far corner. Saints did rally, but without testing Alan Main and soon found themselves trailing further behind when Jim Mclnally's cross from the left was missed by Turner, allowing Michael O'Neill to send a swerving shot with the outside of his left foot into the far corner. Saints cut the deficit almost immediately. Byrne's cut back from the bye-line came off both Dave Narey and John Clark and fell into Liam Dunne's path and he gave Alan Main no chance from 12 yards.

Yet another defensive lapse brought us our third goal. This time Turner failed to control a Duncan Ferguson flick intended for Paddy Connolly and he ran on to slip the ball under Rhodes. By now United were really turning on the style and a fourth goal duly arrived when Billy McKinlay fired in an angular drive to which John O'Neil got the final touch as he directed the ball into the net via the far post. Thereafter the Tangerines threatened to run riot with Duncan Ferguson striking bar and post. Saints rallied late on, but there could be no disguising the quality of football which United played in this resounding victory.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet