Airdrieonians 1 - 3 Dundee Utd

League - Premier Division
Saturday, March 6th, 1993, 3:00 PM at Broomfield
Attendance: 2,291
Referee: J Kelly (East Kilbride)
Airdrieonians Dundee Utd

Justin Fashanu (25) Duncan Ferguson (17)
Paddy Connolly (44)
John Clark (62)

Team Managers
Alex MacDonald Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
John Martin
Walter Kidd
Sandy Stewart
Jimmy Sandison
Gus Caesar
Kenny Black
Jimmy Boyle
Wesley Reid
Justin Fashanu
Andy Smith
Owen Coyle
Alan Main
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Mark Perry
Billy McKinlay
Dave Bowman
Michael O'Neill
John Clark
Paddy Connolly
Duncan Ferguson
Scott Crabbe

Chris Honor
Alan Lawrence
John O'Neil
David Hannah

Chris Honor for Gus Caesar (57)
Alan Lawrence for Andy Smith (75)
David Hannah for Dave Bowman (32)

Kenny Black (89) Duncan Ferguson (57)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 143 apps -
Maurice Malpas 575 apps19 goals
Dave Narey 852 apps36 goals
Mark Perry 14 apps1 goal
Billy McKinlay 179 apps8 goals
Dave Bowman 256 apps9 goals
Michael O'Neill 68 apps12 goals
John Clark 302 apps34 goals
Paddy Connolly 81 apps22 goals
Duncan Ferguson 83 apps34 goals
Scott Crabbe 18 apps4 goals
David Hannah (sub) 2 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Duncan Ferguson (21 years 75 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (36 years 276 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 74 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:David Hannah (19 years 219 days)
Oldest Player:Dave Narey (36 years 276 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 127 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


United were unchanged for the fifth successive time for this incident packed match with each half lasting 50 minutes. Andy Smith had the ball in the net in the fifth minute, but was promptly ruled offside. The incident which was to have such a bearing on the outcome occurred almost immediately afterwards when Martin was injured in a scramble for the ball after he had saved a Paddy Connolly shot with his legs. Play was held up for a full five minutes. Twelve minutes later United opened the scoring, as Martin fumbled a Duncan Ferguson header which then crossed the goal line. Airdrie fought back and Coyle after missing out on a scoring opportunity whipped the ball back into the middle and Justin Fashanu stooped to power in a near post header. Both teams approached the match as if it were a cup tie and it was in time added on for Martin's injury that we regained the lead. Martin had only just saved bravely at the feet of Billy McKinlay when substitute David Hannah flighted over a high looping cross to the back post which Duncan Ferguson headed back and though Scott Crabbe's first shot was blocked the ball broke to Paddy Connolly who poked it over the line from close range.

Martin again required lengthy treatment following a challenge by Duncan Ferguson for which the United striker was booked as the second half began untidily. A third goal effectively ended Airdrie's resistance, headed home powerfully by John Clark. Martin was again the subject of medical attention after he foiled Duncan Ferguson and United ran out comfortable winners in a match where attitude as much as ability helped extend our unbeaten run to five matches and significantly closed the gap on Hearts in fourth spot to a single point.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet