Dundee Utd 3 - 1 Meadowbank Thistle

Scottish Cup - 3rd Round
Saturday, January 9th, 1993, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 5,263
Referee: Mike Pocock (Aberdeen)
Dundee Utd  Meadowbank Thistle

Billy McKinlay (37)
Brian Welsh (60)
Duncan Ferguson (62)
Paul Rutherford (5)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Donald Park

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Maurice Malpas
Freddy van der Hoorn
Mark Perry
Brian Welsh
Jim McInally
Andy McLaren
John O'Neil
Billy McKinlay
Duncan Ferguson
Scott Crabbe
Steven Ellison
Malcolm Murray
Stuart Elder
Stewart Williamson
Gordon Rae
Alan Banks
Ian Little
Stuart Wilson
Paul Rutherford
Gordon McLeod
Lee Bailey

Alex Cleland
Paddy Connolly
Malcolm Coyle
Dave Roseburgh

Alex Cleland for Andy McLaren (55)
Paddy Connolly for Scott Crabbe (79)
Malcolm Coyle for Lee Bailey (59)
Dave Roseburgh for Stuart Elder (67)

None. Gordon McLeod (41)
Alan Banks (70)
Stewart Williamson (73)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 133 apps -
Maurice Malpas 565 apps19 goals
Freddy van der Hoorn 161 apps5 goals
Mark Perry 5 apps1 goal
Brian Welsh 56 apps5 goals
Jim McInally 290 apps18 goals
Andy McLaren 22 apps -
John O'Neil 67 apps5 goals
Billy McKinlay 169 apps8 goals
Duncan Ferguson 77 apps31 goals
Scott Crabbe 8 apps2 goals
Alex Cleland (sub) 111 apps8 goals
Paddy Connolly (sub) 72 apps18 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Andy McLaren (19 years 223 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (30 years 167 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 197 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Andy McLaren (19 years 223 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (30 years 167 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 73 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


For the first ever competitive meeting between United and Meadowbank, Skipper Maurice Malpas returned to duty after injury, but Miodrag Krivokapic was unavailable due to a groin strain. Meetings with any side from a lower division, even one struggling at the foot of the First Division are never easy and any thoughts of a trouble free passage were quickly dispelled when the visitors took a 5th minute lead. There was an element of luck in the creation of the goal as Jim McInally's clearance was diverted back upfield, dropping into the path of Paul Rutherford. Alan Main made a partial stop from the former Falkirk striker's shot, but couldn't prevent the ball from rolling over the line. Only a spectacular goal-line clearance from Williamson five minutes later prevented us equalising after Jim McInally had met Andy McLaren's cross at the far post. The visitors still posed a threat at the other end though and it took a late intervention by Billy McKinlay to deny Rutherford a second in the 22nd minute. It wasn't until the 37th minute that we finally broke Meadowbank's stubborn resistance. John O'Neil's cross from the left was headed back and Billy McKinlay steered a low volley into the far corner from 15 yards.

As at the start, Meadowbank had opened well in the second period, but two goals in almost as many minutes were to swing the tie in our favour. In 59 minutes a John O'Neil free-kick was swept home by Brian Welsh from the edge of the penalty box. Almost immediately, Wilson fired a loose ball over the United bar and with it went any lingering hopes of the men from the capital, because within seconds they found themselves two goals in arrears. Scott Crabbe did the spadework with a run down the right and when his cross arrived in the middle Duncan Ferguson sent a header looping into the far corner. We missed a great chance to increase our lead when John O'Neil was brought down in the box by Wilson with twenty minutes remaining. Scott Crabbe stepped up to take the kick, but Ellison guessed right and beat away his first penalty for the first team. However, the miss had no bearing on the final outcome which was more comfortable than deserved or had looked possible at one stage.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet