Dundee Utd 1 - 1 Motherwell

League - Premier Division
Wednesday, October 7th, 1992, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 5,380
Referee: Kenny Clark (Paisley)
Dundee Utd  Motherwell

Paddy Connolly (67)
Chris McCart (50)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Tommy McLean

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Alex Cleland
Maurice Malpas
Freddy van der Hoorn
Jim McInally
John Clark
Billy McKinlay
John O'Neil
Dave Bowman
Duncan Ferguson
Scott Crabbe
Sieb Dijkstra
Luc Nijholt
Rob McKinnon
Brian Martin
Neil Simpson
John Philliben
Chris McCart
Stevie Kirk
Alan Sneddon
Dougie Arnott
Davie Cooper

Grant Johnson
Paddy Connolly
Jamie Dolan
Paul Baker

Paddy Connolly for John O'Neil (60)
Grant Johnson for Billy McKinlay (65)
Jamie Dolan for Neil Simpson (42)

Duncan Ferguson (79)
Scott Crabbe (88)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 120 apps -
Alex Cleland 106 apps8 goals
Maurice Malpas 554 apps19 goals
Freddy van der Hoorn 148 apps5 goals
Jim McInally 278 apps15 goals
John Clark 284 apps32 goals
Billy McKinlay 159 apps6 goals
John O'Neil 59 apps4 goals
Dave Bowman 243 apps9 goals
Duncan Ferguson 68 apps29 goals
Scott Crabbe 2 apps -
Grant Johnson (sub) 24 apps3 goals
Paddy Connolly (sub) 60 apps17 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Duncan Ferguson (20 years 290 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (30 years 73 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 197 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Grant Johnson (20 years 202 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (30 years 73 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 331 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Some 16 years have elapsed since we last lost to Motherwell at Tannadice and when we fell behind early in the second half that record appeared in jeopardy. However, by the end we very unlucky not to snatch victory after the visitors weathered a furious late onslaught. Dykstra was Motherwell's hero making tremendous point-blank saves from Jim McInally and later John Clark. Sandwiched between those was a save of equal quality by Alan Main to keep out a Martin header.

Early in the second half, Motherwell opened the scoring. Cooper floated over a cross to the back post from which Kirk headed the ball back across the face of the goal and Chris McCart turned the ball home with a diving header. Motherwell's goal came under increasing attack, but the equaliser which had threatened didn't arrive until the 67th minute. Alan Main hoisted the ball deep into the visitors' half. Duncan Ferguson flicked the ball on and Paddy Connolly drilled the ball low past Dykstra. A repeat of the move which brought Motherwell's first goal almost worked again, but Freddy van der Hoorn scrambled the ball clear from Martin. The last ten minutes totally belonged to United and Scott Crabbe, making his home debut, went close to opening his account on three occasions before the end, but Motherwell left Tannadice with a point for the third consecutive visit. Mind you had we taken our chances late on, it would have been no more than we deserved.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet