Dundee Utd 0 - 2 Falkirk

League - SPL
Saturday, April 29th, 2006, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 5,798
Referee: Craig MacKay
Dundee Utd  Falkirk

None. Alan Gow (14)
Danny McBreen (39)

Team Managers
Craig Brewster
John Hughes

Starting Eleven
Craig Samson
Stuart Abbot
Alan Archibald
Charlie Mulgrew
Paul Ritchie
Ross Gardiner
Stuart Duff
David McCracken
David Robertson
Mark Kerr
Collin Samuel
Mark Howard
Jack Ross
Tiago Jonas Rodrigues
Karl Dodd
Kenny Milne
Vitor Lima
Patrick Cregg
Stephen O'Donnell
Tam Scobbie
Alan Gow
Danny McBreen

Euan McLean
Willie Easton
Garry Kenneth
Greg Cameron
Derek McInnes
Jim McIntyre
David Goodwillie
Allan Ferguson
Andy Lawrie
Liam Craig
Neil Scally
Craig McPherson
Graeme Churchill
Pedro Moutinho

Garry Kenneth for Paul Ritchie (45)
Jim McIntyre for David Robertson (45)
David Goodwillie for Ross Gardiner (74)
Liam Craig for Alan Gow (83)
Neil Scally for Stephen O'Donnell (85)
Pedro Moutinho for Danny McBreen (87)

Mark Kerr
Stephen O'Donnell (81)
Vitor Lima (78)

Red Cards
None. Patrick Cregg (81)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Craig Samson (GK) 6 apps -
Stuart Abbot 2 apps -
Alan Archibald 125 apps7 goals
Charlie Mulgrew 12 apps2 goals
Paul Ritchie 54 apps -
Ross Gardiner 2 apps -
Stuart Duff 130 apps3 goals
David McCracken 165 apps7 goals
David Robertson 10 apps1 goal
Mark Kerr 110 apps5 goals
Collin Samuel 89 apps9 goals
Garry Kenneth (sub) 28 apps1 goal
David Goodwillie (sub) 9 apps1 goal
Jim McIntyre (sub) 162 apps43 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Gardiner (19 years 125 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Ritchie (30 years 259 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 162 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:David Goodwillie (17 years 36 days)
Oldest Player:Derek McInnes (34 years 307 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 138 days
Domestic Players:17 (94.44 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


After an uneventful opening, Allan Gow grabbed the opener for the Bairns in 13 minutes after Paul Ritchie failed to make proper contact on a through ball. As a result Gow was left with an easy chance to place the ball into the corner from 6 yards. The lead was doubled in 38 minutes when Daniel McBreen was left all alone to bundle a Lima corner over the line, with the United defence posted missing. In between times David Robertson had tried his luck from range and Charlie Mulgrew attempted to curl in a free kick but neither player was close to restoring hope for in what was for the United faithful a poor first half. On the stroke of half time Falkirk keeper Mark Howard did well to palm away a Mulgrew corner which had deceived him at the near post.

Jim McIntyre and Garry Kenneth were sent on at half time in an attempt to change United’s fortunes at either end of the field, however it was still Falkirk who continued to look the more likely to score. Midway through the half Alan Archibald gifted McBreen a clear sight of goal after an attempted clearance, but the striker was not able to direct a shot on target much to the relief of the United defender. McBreen did better moments later when he stooped low to meet a Gow cross, however the effort still failed to test Craig Samson. Mulgrew attempted to find United a route back into the game with another set piece effort but again failed to find the target. As the game drew to a close, tempers boiled over as the players became involved in a mass brawl in the middle of the park following an incident between United sub David Goodwillie and Falkirk’s Patrick Cregg. Cregg was subsequently sent off after referee Mackay had spotted his stamp down the back of Goodwillie’s calf. At this stage it was too late for United to capitalise and things almost got worse in injury time as Falkirk sub Neil Scally struck a long range shot off the bar.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet