Dundee Utd 0 - 1 Rangers

Scottish Cup - Quarter Final Replay
Monday, March 27th, 1989, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 21,872
Referee: George Smith (Edinburgh)
Dundee Utd  Rangers

None. Ally McCoist (49)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Graeme Souness

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Gary McGinnis
Mixu Paatelainen
Jim McInally
John Clark
Billy McKinlay
Kevin Gallacher
Paul Sturrock
Chris Woods
Gary Stevens
Stuart Munro
Richard Gough
Ray Wilkins
Terry Butcher
Kevin Drinkell
Ian Ferguson
Ally McCoist
Mel Sterland
Mark Walters

Miodrag Krivokapić
Joe McLeod
John Brown
Davie Cooper

Joe McLeod for Kevin Gallacher (76)
Miodrag Krivokapić for Mixu Paatelainen (78)
John Brown for Mel Sterland (69)

None. Gary Stevens (8)
Kevin Drinkelll (85)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 206 apps -
Dave Narey 749 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 692 apps81 goals
Maurice Malpas 393 apps12 goals
Gary McGinnis 81 apps1 goal
Mixu Paatelainen 66 apps27 goals
Jim McInally 131 apps5 goals
John Clark 161 apps22 goals
Billy McKinlay 53 apps2 goals
Kevin Gallacher 158 apps37 goals
Paul Sturrock 570 apps170 goals
Miodrag Krivokapić (sub) 28 apps1 goal
Joe McLeod (sub) 21 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Billy McKinlay (19 years 344 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (34 years 254 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 12 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Billy McKinlay (19 years 344 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (34 years 254 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 286 days
Domestic Players:11 (84.62 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


The infamous Rangers Cup hoodoo remarkably remains in tact as we still await the first taste of Cup success against the Ibrox club. If the first meeting was a superb advert for the game, then the replay as a spectacle wasn't in the same class and it took one flash of genius and luck to bring Rangers the all important goal which always looked likely to decide this game one way or the other.

Rangers got off to a flying start in terms of possession, but achieved little in front of goal in those early stages. In fact one of the best chances of the game fell to us when Paul Sturrock ran on to a head flick from Kevin Gallacher, but Woods blocked his shot and Kevin Gallacher intelligently headed the rebound first time towards goal, but the ball cruelly went the wrong side of the post.

Play was interrupted when not once but on two occasions, the ball had to be replaced and another fine Woods save foiled us in the 23rd minute. Paul Sturrock's cross from the left was met by Mixu Paatelainen, whose dipping header was netbound until Woods, at full stretch, tipped the ball over the bar. By contrast Billy Thomson's only action of note in the first half was to easily collect a 20 yard grounder from Gary Stevens.

Rangers, as they did at the beginning of the match, opened with a flurry and a looping header from Butcher was touched over by Billy Thomson. Four minutes after the interval came the decisive blow. Mark Walters cut in from the right and his superbly struck shot was tipped onto the bar by Billy Thomson and Ally McCoist was close on hand to hammer home the rebound.

We almost got back on level terms in the 52nd minute when a snap shot on the turn by Paul Sturrock went narrowly past. Paul Hegarty's path to goal was blocked by a last gasp tackle in the 66th minute and a fine chip from Jim Mclnally went fractionally wide with 18 minutes to go and with it went our cup hopes for another year.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet