Dundee Utd 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup - 4th Round 2nd Replay
Monday, February 27th, 1989, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 21,095
Referee: Bob Valentine (Dundee)
Dundee Utd  Aberdeen

Mixu Paatelainen (82)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Jocky Scott & Alex Smith

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
Dave Narey
Miodrag Krivokapić
Maurice Malpas
Mixu Paatelainen
Jim McInally
Billy McKinlay
John Clark
Raphael Meade
Paul Sturrock
Theo Snelders
Stewart McKimmie
Ian Robertson
Neil Simpson
Alex McLeish
Brian Irvine
Charlie Nicholas
Jim Bett
Paul Wright
Robert Connor
Brian Grant

Dave Bowman
Joe McLeod
Paul Mason
Davie Dodds

Joe McLeod for Raphael Meade (69)
Davie Dodds for Neil Simpson (89)

None. Ian Robertson (90)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 201 apps -
Paul Hegarty 687 apps81 goals
Dave Narey 745 apps36 goals
Miodrag Krivokapić 24 apps -
Maurice Malpas 388 apps11 goals
Mixu Paatelainen 61 apps26 goals
Jim McInally 126 apps5 goals
Billy McKinlay 48 apps2 goals
John Clark 160 apps22 goals
Raphael Meade 22 apps7 goals
Paul Sturrock 566 apps170 goals
Joe McLeod (sub) 20 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Billy McKinlay (19 years 316 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (34 years 226 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 253 days
Domestic Players:8 (72.73 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Billy McKinlay (19 years 316 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (34 years 226 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 359 days
Domestic Players:10 (76.92 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


From the moment that it was known that we were to meet Aberdeen in the Cup, the general opinion was that it would take something special to separate the two members of the New Firm. The third attempt to settle the tie certainly produced a goal worthy of booking a quarter final place. Mixu Paatelainen's superb strike eight minutes from the end did the trick, but it is one of football's ironies that Aberdeen's performance deserved better. However, it is goals that count, and we could justifiably claim to have been the better side in the first two meetings. A bright opening brought an early pot-shot by Charlie Nicholas with skipper Maurice Malpas almost beheading a Dons defender with a blistering volley. The best chance of the first half fell to Paul Wright. The ball broke loose from a goalmouth scramble and Wright's follow-up shot went fractionally the wrong side of the post. A free-kick by Bobby Connor was turned round the post by Billy Thomson just before the interval.

The second half started in Cup tie fashion with play swinging from end to end. The best of the chance of the match so far came in 66th minute when Paul Wright latched on to a Brian Irvine header, but his effort slid inches past the post as Billy Thomson came out quickly. Extra-time was again looming when the goal which finally decided the tie arrived. Only eight minutes were left when Joe McLeod forced Jim Bett to lose the ball. Billy McKinlay knocked the ball to Jim McInally, who found Mixu Paatelainen. The big Finn transferred the ball to his left foot and fired in a fierce shot which beat Snelders and went in via the inside of the post. There was no comeback this time and so we gained our first Cup win over the Dons at Tannadice and progressed to the quarter-final stages for the sixth consecutive season.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet