Dundee Utd 1 - 1 Aberdeen

(After extra time)
Scottish Cup - 4th Round Replay
Wednesday, February 22nd, 1989, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 18,756
Referee: Bob Valentine (Dundee)
Dundee Utd  Aberdeen

Mixu Paatelainen (pen.) (92)
Brian Grant (112)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Jocky Scott & Alex Smith

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
Dave Narey
Maurice Malpas
Gary McGinnis
Billy McKinlay
Mixu Paatelainen
Jim McInally
John Clark
Kevin Gallacher
Raphael Meade
Theo Snelders
Stewart McKimmie
Ian Robertson
Neil Simpson
Alex McLeish
Brian Irvine
Charlie Nicholas
Jim Bett
Paul Wright
Robert Connor
John Hewitt

Miodrag Krivokapić
Paul Sturrock
Brian Grant
Davie Dodds

Miodrag Krivokapić for Billy McKinlay (66)
Paul Sturrock for Raphael Meade (83)
Brian Grant for Robert Connor (45)
Davie Dodds for Ian Robertson (105)

John Clark (86)
Ian Robertson (68)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 200 apps -
Paul Hegarty 686 apps81 goals
Dave Narey 744 apps36 goals
Maurice Malpas 387 apps11 goals
Gary McGinnis 77 apps1 goal
Billy McKinlay 47 apps2 goals
Mixu Paatelainen 60 apps25 goals
Jim McInally 125 apps5 goals
John Clark 159 apps22 goals
Kevin Gallacher 153 apps35 goals
Raphael Meade 21 apps7 goals
Miodrag Krivokapić (sub) 23 apps -
Paul Sturrock (sub) 565 apps170 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Billy McKinlay (19 years 311 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (34 years 221 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 141 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Billy McKinlay (19 years 311 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (34 years 221 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 31 days
Domestic Players:10 (76.92 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Billy Thomson made his 200th competitive appearance for the Club.
Mixu Paatelainen scored for the 25th time for the Club.

Normally New Firm encounters are a bit like chess matches, studious and thoughtful moves planned well in advance. Well this one didn't follow that familiar pattern as both sides fought out a good old fashioned Cup tie, in which apart from a brief spell in the first half, we almost completely dominated. Even against a howling wind and some heavy snow showers, we commanded play from the first whistle. Billy McKinlay, returning after a back injury, was heavily involved in the early play getting in a coupie of snap shots. Mixu Paatelainen then had a good shot well saved by Snelders, John Clark saw a volley blocked from a nod down by Mixu Paatelainen and all this after only seven minutes play! It took the Dons until the 20th minute to get near our goal, when Charlie Nicholas volleyed wide. Connor, Saturday's Aberdeen marksman then tested Billy Thomson, who turned his long range effort round the post. The United 'keeper then made a fine save at the second attempt from a dangerous Hewitt corner. At the other end Mixu Paatelainein found himself in space but Snelders made a fine save from his well struck shot.

Having faced the wind in the first half and had as much if not more of the play there was great expectation for the second half. Jim Mclnally came desperately close to breaking the deadlock when he exchanged passes with Raphael Made and broke into the box, but the ever alert Snelders got down quickly to block Jim's shot. The required flash of genius failed to materialise and so it was into extra-time.

Only two minutes of that had gone when a cross from Paul Sturrock was handled by Alex McLeish and Mixu Paatelainen did a repeat performance from the spot, only hitting the ball harder and higher past Snelders than on the previous Saturday. Just when Aberdeen looked to be counted out Brian Grant popped up to head the ball down and past Billy Thomson from a John Hewitt corner with eight minutes of extra-time left and ensured once again stalemate was the order of a new firm clash.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet