Dundee Utd 0 - 2 Aberdeen

League Cup - Semi Final
Tuesday, September 20th, 1988, 7:30 PM at Dens Park
Attendance: 18,491
Referee: Douglas Hope (Erskine)
Dundee Utd  Aberdeen

None. John Hewitt (2)
Davie Dodds (80)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Jocky Scott & Alex Smith

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Alex Cleland
Mixu Paatelainen
Jim McInally
Dave Bowman
Billy McKinlay
Raphael Meade
Kevin Gallacher
Theo Snelders
Stewart McKimmie
David Robertson
Neil Simpson
Alex McLeish
Willie Miller
Charlie Nicholas
Jim Bett
Davie Dodds
Robert Connor
John Hewitt

Miodrag Krivokapić
Hamish French
Brian Grant
Paul Mason

Hamish French for Raphael Meade (59)
Miodrag Krivokapić for Jim McInally (70)
Paul Mason for David Robertson (73)
Brian Grant for John Hewitt (68)

Mixu Paatelainen (72)
Jim Bett (86)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 174 apps -
Dave Narey 720 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 664 apps81 goals
Maurice Malpas 360 apps11 goals
Alex Cleland 8 apps -
Mixu Paatelainen 35 apps17 goals
Jim McInally 103 apps4 goals
Dave Bowman 100 apps1 goal
Billy McKinlay 29 apps1 goal
Raphael Meade 6 apps2 goals
Kevin Gallacher 130 apps30 goals
Miodrag Krivokapić (sub) 1 app (debut) -
Hamish French (sub) 33 apps4 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Alex Cleland (17 years 289 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (34 years 66 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 131 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Alex Cleland (17 years 289 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (34 years 66 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 215 days
Domestic Players:10 (76.92 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Miodrag Krivokapić(Signed August 3rd, 1988)

Dave Bowman played his 100th major competitive game for the Club.

After the saga of last season's Scottish Cup semi, both sides knew that a decision would be reached on the night with extra-time and penalties to decide the issue. Unlike the cagey nature of all last season's Scottish Cup semi-finals, this was a typical Cup tie which got off to a sensational start.

Charlie Nicholas cleverly made room for himself and Billy Thomson had to turn the chipped shot for a corner. From the corner the ball was headed back into the middle and John Hewitt's looping header found the empty net. A spell of United pressure ensued but without Snelders being put under pressure. Charlie Nicholas took advantage of a slack pass back by Alex Cleland, but his drive went straight across the face of the goal. Snelders was in action shortly afterwards blocking Jim Mclnally's progress. The game ebbed and flowed with chances at both ends. Kevin Gallacher had a good run into the box, but his shot was wide. Billy Thomson had a fine save, plucking a Bett shot out of the air, and the half ended with Nicholas shooting past.

If Aberdeen had the better of the first half, the start of the second half belonged to United. Alex Cleland shot over following a corner immediately after the re-start, then a header from Mixu down to Kevin Gallacher whose shot was touched over by Snelders. We had a penalty claim turned down after 56 minutes when Mixu appeared to be bundled off the ball. Kevin Gallacher fired in a shot which Snelders saved well as the United pressure continued. We looked to have equalised when Mixu's header beat Snelders, but the goal was disallowed. Snelders was again in action to turn a shot from Dave Narey round the post.

The minutes ticked away and as so often happens when a team is pressing so hard, the opposition score. A ball out to Brian Grant on the left was centred by the substitute and Davie Dodd's head-flick put the Dons two up. Still, we didn't give up and Snelders shut out Dave Bowman and the flying Dutchman turned a tremendous 20 yarder round the post, but it wasn't to be and for once Dens as a lucky venue let us down.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info