Dinamo Bucureşti 1 - 1 Dundee Utd

Cup Winners' Cup - 2nd Round 2nd Leg
Wednesday, November 9th, 1988, 7:30 PM at Stadionul Dinamo
Attendance: 22,000
Referee: Albert Thomas (Netherlands)
Dinamo Bucureşti Dundee Utd

Dorin Mateuț (81) Dave Beaumont (77)

Team Managers
Mircea Lucescu Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Bogdan Stelea
Iulian Mihăescu
Ioan Varga
Mircea Rednic
Ionuț Lupescu
Ioan Andone
Claudiu Vaișcovici
Ioan Ovidiu Sabău
Rodion Cămătaru
Dorin Mateuț
Dănuț Lupu
Billy Thomson
Dave Beaumont
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Allan Preston
Maurice Malpas
Jim McInally
Billy McKinlay
John Clark
Raphael Meade
Kevin Gallacher

Dumitru Moraru
Gheorghe Viscreanu
Alexandru Nicolae
Costel Orac
Florin Răducioiu
Scott Thomson
Alex Cleland
Dave Bowman
Ian Redford
Hamish French

Florin Răducioiu for Claudiu Vaișcovici (86)
Gheorghe Viscreanu for Dănuț Lupu (90)
Dave Bowman for John Clark (59)
Ian Redford for Jim McInally (83)

None. Raphael Meade
John Clark (2)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 185 apps -
Dave Beaumont 110 apps4 goals
Dave Narey 729 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 673 apps81 goals
Allan Preston 10 apps -
Maurice Malpas 372 apps11 goals
Jim McInally 110 apps4 goals
Billy McKinlay 35 apps1 goal
John Clark 156 apps22 goals
Raphael Meade 15 apps6 goals
Kevin Gallacher 139 apps30 goals
Dave Bowman (sub) 111 apps1 goal
Ian Redford (sub) 155 apps32 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Allan Preston (19 years 90 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (34 years 116 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 312 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Alex Cleland (17 years 339 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (34 years 116 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 55 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Unfortunately a draw wasn't enough to take us into the quarter finals, but we were unlucky not to at least take the tie into extra time.

Unlike the first leg, Dinamo didn't look as dangerous, and there were few threats on goals in the first half. John Clark had a couple of shots and before half-time a Billy McKinIay free kick was flick on by Paul Hegarty, but slipped past the far post.

Play continued in a similar vein in the second half, but 13 minutes from the end we got back on level terms. Allan Preston sent over a free-kick, which Dave Beaumont rose to head down into the empty net. Unfortunately, our joy was short-lived. Four minutes later, Matuet, their first leg hero, hammered in a shot from outside the box into the top left hand corner to end our European aspirations.

Bucharest Goal Only.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info