Dundee Utd 1 - 0 Floriana

Cup Winners' Cup - 1st Round 2nd Leg
Wednesday, October 5th, 1988, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 9,138
Referee: Roger Gifford (Wales)
Dundee Utd  Floriana

Raphael Meade (69)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Hugh Caruana

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Allan Preston
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Ian McPhee
John Clark
Mixu Paatelainen
Ian Redford
Billy McKinlay
Dave Bowman
Kevin Gallacher
David Cluett
Vincent Darmanin
Dennis Cauchi
Pierre Brincat
Charles Magri
John Holland
Pat Delia
John Aquilina
Michael Greeno
George Xuereb
Mark Miller

Scott Thomson
Dave Beaumont
Harry Curran
Raphael Meade
Hamish French
George Attard
Patrick Demanuele
Jeremy Holland
Mario Spiteri
Bernard Licari

Raphael Meade for Mixu Paatelainen (35)
Hamish French for Billy McKinlay (62)
Bernard Licari for Charles Magri (82)

None. Charles Magri (25)
David Cluett (43)
Dennis Cauchi (49)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 178 apps -
Allan Preston 3 apps -
Paul Hegarty 667 apps81 goals
Maurice Malpas 364 apps11 goals
Ian McPhee 17 apps2 goals
John Clark 148 apps22 goals
Mixu Paatelainen 38 apps17 goals
Ian Redford 151 apps32 goals
Billy McKinlay 32 apps1 goal
Dave Bowman 104 apps1 goal
Kevin Gallacher 134 apps30 goals
Raphael Meade (sub) 9 apps3 goals
Hamish French (sub) 36 apps4 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Allan Preston (19 years 55 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (34 years 81 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 104 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Allan Preston (19 years 55 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (34 years 81 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 307 days
Domestic Players:14 (87.50 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


The good news was heavily outweighed by the bad after United fans had to endure ninety minutes of United pressure with only one goal to show for their efforts. First to the positive aspects - we won and Allan Preston, making his European debut, had an excellent game as was one of the few to enhance his reputation. Overall, however, this was a lacklustre display and we made extremely heavy weather of breaking down a no more than competent Maltese defence. The early stages saw Allan Preston heavily involved as he swung over a series of probing crosses. However, the immaculate handling of David Cluett, the Maltese international goalkeeper, cut out most of the danger. The tenth minute brought a rare threat on Billy Thomson's goal, when a free kick for a foul on Aquilina went narrowly over. Nine minutes later Englishman Michael Greeno almost caused embarrassment when he just failed to get a touch to a dangerous cross, but that was the last we saw of the Maltese in an attacking
sense. A looping header by John Clark; a penalty claim when Ian McPhee was bundled off the ball; a Billy McKinlay shot straight at Cluett; a Paul Hegarty header; and a powerful Ian Redford header were the sum total of our first half efforts.

Play continued to flow towards Cluett in the Floriana goal as we stepped up our efforts to breakdown their defence, but their big 'keeper was on the spot to deal with a shot from Maurice Malpas, and two headers from Paul Hegarty without too much effort. Cluett, however, had to look lively to block an Ian McPhee. The Floriana goal had an amazing let off in the 65th minute when a clearance rebounded off Kevin Gallacher and went agonisingly past the far post. Finally the breakthrough came in the 60th minute. Kevin Gallacher turned out on the corner of the box and fired in a cross, which Raphael Meade headed into the top right hand corner of the net. During the last twenty minutes we created a series of chances all of which went abegging, with the only consolation of the night being our progression to the second round.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet