Dundee Utd 1 - 2 TJ Vitkovice

UEFA Cup - 2nd Round 2nd Leg
Wednesday, October 21st, 1987, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 8,938
Referee: Ulf Eriksson (Sweden)
Dundee Utd  TJ Vitkovice

Iain Ferguson (24)
Miroslav Chmela (12)
Stanislav Dostal (78)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Ivan Kopechy

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Gary McGinnis
Ian McPhee
Paul Kinnaird
Eamonn Bannon
Dave Bowman
Iain Ferguson
Hamish French
Jaroslav Zapalka
Lubomir Vlk
Oldrich Skarecky
Miroslav Karas
Stanislav Dostal
Miroslav Kadlec
Zbynek Houska
Alois Grussmann
Miroslav Chmela
Ludek Kovacik
Jiri Bartl

John Clark
Paul Sturrock
Jindrich Kušnír
Jiri Sourek
Rostislav Jerabek
Jan Šráček

Paul Sturrock for Ian McPhee (55)
John Clark for Gary McGinnis (60)
Rostislav Jerabek for Ludek Kovacik (80)
Jiri Sourek for Zbynek Houska (83)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 133 apps -
Dave Narey 675 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 620 apps80 goals
Maurice Malpas 310 apps10 goals
Gary McGinnis 60 apps1 goal
Ian McPhee 10 apps1 goal
Paul Kinnaird 17 apps -
Eamonn Bannon 412 apps103 goals
Dave Bowman 53 apps -
Iain Ferguson 67 apps34 goals
Hamish French 3 apps -
John Clark (sub) 106 apps16 goals
Paul Sturrock (sub) 557 apps170 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Paul Kinnaird (20 years 349 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 96 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 246 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Paul Kinnaird (20 years 349 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 96 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 268 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


For the first time in many a long time, Tannadice fans were fed stale beer instead of sampling a sparkling vintage European night. Without doubt this was a below par performance by the Tangerines against an Iron Curtain side displaying a great deal more attacking enterprise than many from Eastern Europe. The Czechs started off very well and gained their reward in 13 minutes. Dostal rounded Maurice Malpas and curled over an inviting cross which was headed strongly past Billy Thomson by Chmela. The reversal stung us into action and Hamish French posed our first real threat, but his shot, though deflected, was well saved by Zapalka. We then had strong appeals for penalty turned down after Eamonn Bannon was tripped in the box by Bartl. Shortly afterwards we equalised. Paul Kinnaird over on the left sent in a cross which, despite the high bounce, was netted via the underside of the bar by Iain Ferguson's well controlled shot. The equaliser signalled a hectic spell of pressure round the Czech goal. Their 'keeper palmed away and Paul Hegarty shot, Dave Narey hit a shot which went only inches past and Maurice Malpas just failed to connect from close in.

In the second half the Czechs again opened well. Chemla almost scored a carbon-copy of his first half goal, but fortunately headed over. At the other end Paul Kinnaird hammered over a low cross which Paul Sturrock almost made contact with, but then came a devastating blow. Dostal, from a seemingly innocuous position, picked up a loose ball and cracked in a 30 yarder which deceived Billy Thomson and sneaked inside his left-hand post. Both lain Ferguson and Paul Kinnaird came close to equalising.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet