Dundee Utd 3 - 1 Coleraine

UEFA Cup - 1st Round 2nd Leg
Wednesday, September 30th, 1987, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 8,430
Referee: Allan Gunn (England)
Dundee Utd  Coleraine

Kevin Gallacher (28)
Paul Sturrock (73)
John Clark (80)
Desmond Edgar (48)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Jim Platt

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
Dave Narey
Maurice Malpas
Gary McGinnis
Ian McPhee
J Alan Irvine
John Clark
Gordon McLeod
Kevin Gallacher
Paul Sturrock
Jim Platt
Martin Tabb
Dean McCullough
Desmond Edgar
Nigel Quigley
Paul Kee
Richard Wade
Jeremy Robinson
Michael O'Neill
Paul McGurnaghan
Barry McCreadie

Scott Thomson
Dave Beaumont
Billy McKinlay
Ian Redford
Iain Ferguson
William McCurdy
Jeff Wright
Kiernan Harding
Dermot Doherty

Ian Redford for Ian McPhee (75)
William McCurdy for Dean McCullough (75)
Jeff Wright for Nigel Quigley (75)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 128 apps -
Paul Hegarty 615 apps80 goals
Dave Narey 670 apps36 goals
Maurice Malpas 305 apps10 goals
Gary McGinnis 56 apps1 goal
Ian McPhee 9 apps1 goal
J Alan Irvine 7 apps -
John Clark 102 apps16 goals
Gordon McLeod 16 apps1 goal
Kevin Gallacher 93 apps21 goals
Paul Sturrock 556 apps170 goals
Ian Redford (sub) 116 apps24 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Gordon McLeod (20 years 33 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 75 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 273 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Billy McKinlay (18 years 165 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 75 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 230 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Manager Jim McLean prior to the match was quick to point that no tie was a formality and his words were pro-phetic as the part-timers from Coleraine gave United fans some scary moments, particularly in the second half. The opening thirty minutes hardly foretold the drama that was to later unfold. We were very much in the driving seat, and only a last ditch clearance from an O'Neill shot had caused any reason for concern in the United ranks. On the half hour mark we took the lead. Gary McGinnis's cross was knocked down by Paul Hegarty to Kevin Gallacher, who eventually forced the ball over the line at the third attempt. Before the interval, Paul Sturrock only just failed to convert a McLeod cross and Paul Hegarty saw Platt make a good save from his header.

Right from the start of the second period Coleraine were on the offensive, and it brought early dividends. Wade hit Billy Thomson's legs and the Irishmen kept up the pressure McGurnaghan found full-back Edgar, who drove the ball beyond Billy Thomson. For the next twenty minutes Jim Plan's men chased everything, knocking us out of our stride, but towards the end they tired and we eventually put the tie beyond their reach in the 73rd minute. An Alan Irvine corner was headed down by John Clark and Paul Sturrock wheeled to score. With eight minutes left, another cross by Alan Irvine was converted by John Clark to put a better complexion on an otherwise below par European performance.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet