Raith Rovers 1 - 2 Dundee Utd

League Cup - 3rd Round
Tuesday, August 25th, 1987, 7:30 PM at Starks Park
Attendance: 6,217
Referee: G Cummings (Carluke)
Raith Rovers Dundee Utd

Colin Harris (pen.) (61) Paul Sturrock (35)
Maurice Malpas (69)

Team Managers
Frank Connor Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Eric Archibald
John McStay
Glenn Kerr
Alex Brash
Ian Gibson
Steve Simpson
Jim Marshall
Colin Harris
Gordon Dalziel
Ally McLeod
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
John Holt
Maurice Malpas
Ian McPhee
Ian Redford
Billy Kirkwood
Iain Ferguson
Kevin Gallacher
Paul Sturrock

Andy Harrow
John Wright
Eamonn Bannon
John Clark

Andy Harrow for Gordon Dalziel (82) Eamonn Bannon for Ian Redford (70)

Alex Brash (71) Ian Redford

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 120 apps -
Dave Narey 662 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 607 apps79 goals
John Holt 402 apps24 goals
Maurice Malpas 297 apps10 goals
Ian McPhee 2 apps1 goal
Ian Redford 108 apps23 goals
Billy Kirkwood 398 apps70 goals
Iain Ferguson 55 apps30 goals
Kevin Gallacher 86 apps20 goals
Paul Sturrock 549 apps166 goals
Eamonn Bannon (sub) 403 apps103 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (20 years 280 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 39 days)
Average Player Age:28 years 48 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (20 years 280 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 39 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 302 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Maurice Malpas reached 10 goals for the Club.

No cup-tie away from home is ever easy, irrespective of whether the opposition emanate from a lower division, and that is exactly how this tie turned out. For most of the first half we dominated play, but a well organised defence, which included former Tannadice favourite Hamish McAlpine, offered few clear-cut chances.

Billy Kirkwood, playing his first match of the season, saw a shot creep narrowly wide and Hamish made a great save from lan Redford. As half-time approached we stepped up the pressure and the Raith defence somehow survived an onslaught, which ended with Hamish McAlpine turning an Ian Redford shot round the post. Two minutes from the interval there was no such escape. John Halt jinked his way down the right before his searching cross to the far post was nodded down into the net by Paul Sturrock. Raith, however, served notice of still being in the game when Billy Thomson saved well from McLeod, right on the stroke of hall-time.

Although we began the second hall well, Raith gradually came more into things. !an Gibson went close from 30 yards and then a Marshall header was only just too high. The home pressure brought reward when a penalty was awarded for a push by John Holt on Colin Harris. The same player got up to convert the spot kick award in 61 minutes. It took us sometime to regain control and Ian McPhee struck the top of the bar. In 69 minutes a neat move down the left saw Maurice Malpas make progress along the edge of the box, before unleashing an unsavable shot via the far post. From then on we were in little danger of being taken into extra time by the plucky part-timers.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet