Dundee Utd 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup - Semi Final 2nd Replay
Wednesday, April 20th, 1988, 7:30 PM at Dens Park
Attendance: 19,048
Referee: Bill Crombie (Edinburgh)
Dundee Utd  Aberdeen

Iain Ferguson (76)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Ian Porterfield

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Eamonn Bannon
Jim McInally
Dave Bowman
Mixu Paatelainen
Ian Redford
Iain Ferguson
Kevin Gallacher
Jim Leighton
Stewart McKimmie
David Robertson
Neil Simpson
Alex McLeish
Willie Miller
Davie Dodds
Jim Bett
Charlie Nicholas
Peter Nicholas
John Hewitt

Gary McGinnis
John Clark
Willie Falconer
Tom Jones

John Clark for Mixu Paatelainen (55)
Willie Falconer for Davie Dodds (62)

Ian Redford (40)
Willie Miller (5)
Alex McLeish (6)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 159 apps -
Maurice Malpas 345 apps11 goals
Dave Narey 705 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 653 apps81 goals
Eamonn Bannon 437 apps108 goals
Jim McInally 93 apps3 goals
Dave Bowman 85 apps1 goal
Mixu Paatelainen 23 apps7 goals
Ian Redford 139 apps29 goals
Iain Ferguson 100 apps43 goals
Kevin Gallacher 116 apps24 goals
John Clark (sub) 136 apps20 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Mixu Paatelainen (21 years 82 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 278 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 344 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Mixu Paatelainen (21 years 82 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 278 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 181 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Iain Ferguson played his 100th major competitive game for the Club.

The deadlock was finally broken at the third attempt and it was an lain Ferguson header which carried us into our fifth Scottish Cup final over the past fifteen years.

There was nothing cagey about the manner in which both sides started. Within seconds of the start Charlie Nicholas brought out a fine save from Billy Thornson. but we hit back and took command. Kevin GalIacher was clean through but his shot was blocked by Leighton in 17 minutes. Jim Mclnally burst from nowhere to fire in a low shot which Leighton held well at the near post. At the other end Davie Dodds' met a Neil Simpson cross but Billy Thomson instinctively turned the ball around the post. Before the interval Mixu Paatelainen thumped in a shot from a Kevin Gallacher cut-back, but Leighton was well placed to save.

After the re-start Aberdeen gained control in midfield but failed to create many openings - although Charlie Nicholas did have Billy Thomson at full stretched to save. Defence domination continued until the 76th minute. Eamonn Bannon delicately flighted a pass with the outside of his boot to Kevin Gallacher, who dragged the ball to the bye-line and crossed for Iain Ferguson to flash a downward header past Leighton. It was the first time we had been ahead in the tie, a position we never looked like relinquishing in the final fourteen minutes to take us back to

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info