Dundee Utd 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup - Semi Final
Saturday, April 9th, 1988, 3:00 PM at Dens Park
Attendance: 20,488
Referee: Bill Crombie (Edinburgh)
Dundee Utd  Aberdeen

None. None.

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Ian Porterfield

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Ian Redford
Eamonn Bannon
Jim McInally
Dave Bowman
Joe McLeod
Kevin Gallacher
Hamish French
Jim Leighton
Stewart McKimmie
David Robertson
Neil Simpson
Alex McLeish
Willie Miller
Davie Dodds
Jim Bett
Charlie Nicholas
Peter Nicholas
John Hewitt

John Clark
Iain Ferguson
Willie Falconer
Tom Jones

Iain Ferguson for Hamish French (51)
John Clark for Joe McLeod (84)

None. David Robertson (22)
Davie Dodds (69)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 157 apps -
Dave Narey 703 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 651 apps81 goals
Maurice Malpas 342 apps11 goals
Ian Redford 137 apps29 goals
Eamonn Bannon 434 apps108 goals
Jim McInally 90 apps3 goals
Dave Bowman 84 apps1 goal
Joe McLeod 13 apps1 goal
Kevin Gallacher 114 apps24 goals
Hamish French 23 apps4 goals
John Clark (sub) 133 apps19 goals
Iain Ferguson (sub) 97 apps42 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Joe McLeod (20 years 106 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 267 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 252 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Joe McLeod (20 years 106 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 267 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 137 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


The fact that a replay was necessary came as no real surprise. After all this was the fourth draw in five meetings this term. A sprightly start by us saw us dominate the first quarter of an hour until Aberdeen exploded into action after winning a corner. From it, Charlie Nicholas met an Alex McLeish header which Billy Thomson acrobatically turned over the bar. From the ensuing corner another Alex McLeish header caused problems as John Hewitt crashed a shot against the bar and Willie Miller hammered the rebound against the outside of the post.

The remaining 70 minutes brought little other than a series of long range shots. Billy Thomson twice made good saves from Peter Nicholas and near the end only a flying diving save from a Willie Miller shot ensured us a second match.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info