Dundee 0 - 3 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - Quarter Final 2nd Replay
Monday, March 28th, 1988, 7:30 PM at Dens Park
Attendance: 19,152
Referee: Jim McCluskey (Stewarton)
Dundee Dundee Utd

None. Joe McLeod (26)
Ian Redford (pen.) (75)
Iain Ferguson (80)

Team Managers
Jocky Scott Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Bobby Geddes
Stuart Forsyth
Vince Mennie
Rab Shannon
Jim Smith
Wes Saunders
Alan Lawrence
Stuart Rafferty
Keith Wright
Tommy Coyne
Ian Angus
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Jim McInally
Eamonn Bannon
Joe McLeod
Dave Bowman
Mixu Paatelainen
Ian Redford
Kevin Gallacher

Graham Harvey
Stephen Frail
John Clark
Iain Ferguson

Graham Harvey for Rab Shannon (31) Iain Ferguson for Mixu Paatelainen (64)
John Clark for Joe McLeod (84)

Alan Lawrence (20)
Jim Smith (39)
Ian Redford (51)
Dave Bowman (55)

Red Cards
Stuart Rafferty (89) None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 156 apps -
Dave Narey 700 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 648 apps81 goals
Maurice Malpas 339 apps11 goals
Jim McInally 87 apps3 goals
Eamonn Bannon 431 apps108 goals
Joe McLeod 11 apps1 goal
Dave Bowman 81 apps -
Mixu Paatelainen 21 apps6 goals
Ian Redford 134 apps29 goals
Kevin Gallacher 113 apps24 goals
John Clark (sub) 130 apps19 goals
Iain Ferguson (sub) 94 apps41 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Joe McLeod (20 years 94 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 255 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 141 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Joe McLeod (20 years 94 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 255 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 41 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Joe McLeod scored his first goal for the Club.

This long drawn out saga finally came to a conclusion with another Dens Park triumph. Dundee had the advantage of a biting wind and slope in the first half. but it was we who threatened first when Kevin Gallacher got in a shot from an Eamonn Bannon pass. At the other end Tommy Coyne hit the side netting from a Lawrence cross. As play swung from end to end Geddes stretched to cut out an Eamonn Bannon and Keith Wright directed a header wide. In 26 minutes came the opening goal, fashioned by a touch of genius by Kevin Gallacher. Kevin picked the ball in midfield and his burst into the box left two defenders in his wake before sending a low cross in which Joe McLeod somehow managed to squeeze home at the far post. Three minutes later a Mennie cross found Tommy Coyne at the far post, but Billy Thomson blocked his header.

If the first half was fairly evenly contested, we dominated the second period. In the opening minute Mixu chased a loose ball into the box and his cross struck Jim Smith but appeals for handball were turned down. Both Ian Redford and substitute Ian Ferguson hit low drives which Geddes saved well as we maintained a stranglehold on proceedings. Kevin Gallacher did have the ball in the net in the 71st minute but lain Ferguson was ruled off-side. A goal was only temporarily delayed though. JoeMcLeod's persistence in the box was rewarded as he retained possession before being up ended. Ian Redford slammed the penalty high into the net after 75 minutes. Ian Redford sent Kevin Gallacher away and his shot struck the post as we began to run riot. Ten minutes from time, Iain Ferguson collected the ball before twisting and hammering in a glorious third goal. Tension exploded in the final minute after Stuart Rafferty was ordered off for aiming a kick at Kevin Gallacher, but the tie was well and truly over by then.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info