Dundee Utd 2 - 2 Dundee

(After extra time)
Scottish Cup - Quarter Final Replay
Tuesday, March 15th, 1988, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 19,102
Referee: Jim McCluskey (Stewarton)
Dundee Utd  Dundee

Eamonn Bannon (5)
Eamonn Bannon (42)
Graham Harvey (60)
Tommy Coyne (72)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Jocky Scott

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Gary McGinnis
Jim McInally
Ian Redford
Eamonn Bannon
Dave Bowman
Hamish French
Kevin Gallacher
Iain Ferguson
Tom Carson
Stuart Forsyth
Tosh McKinlay
Rab Shannon
Jim Smith
Wes Saunders
Vince Mennie
Stuart Rafferty
Keith Wright
Tommy Coyne
Ian Angus

John Clark
Mixu Paatelainen
Graham Harvey
Alan Lawrence

John Clark for Iain Ferguson (104)
Graham Harvey for Tosh McKinlay (46)

Kevin Gallacher (31)
Iain Ferguson (103)
Tosh McKinlay (34)
Graham Harvey (81)
Jim Smith (86)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 9 apps -
Dave Narey 697 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 645 apps81 goals
Gary McGinnis 65 apps1 goal
Jim McInally 84 apps3 goals
Ian Redford 131 apps28 goals
Eamonn Bannon 428 apps108 goals
Dave Bowman 78 apps -
Hamish French 19 apps2 goals
Kevin Gallacher 110 apps24 goals
Iain Ferguson 91 apps40 goals
John Clark (sub) 128 apps19 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Alan Main (20 years 106 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 242 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 41 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Alan Main (20 years 106 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 242 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 192 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Right from the kick-off both sides served notice that this was going to be a much more positive Cup tie. With the Tannadice pitch in reasonable shape considering the torrential rain, we opened strongly and a lightning burst from defence by Jirn Mclnally and an early cross saw Hamish French head over. Our next attack brought the opening goal after five minutes. Hamish French won the ball out on the right and his cross was flicked on by lain Ferguson and was cleared to the edge of the box, where Eamonn Bannon collected it and fired in a low shot which struck the inside of Carson's right hand post before going in. Tom Carson was in action again in nine minutes cutting out a Kevin Gallacher cross after a fine run. Dundee's first chance came two minutes later but ran Angus headed narrowly past. Dundee came more into the frame of things but without testing Alan Main. Three minutes from half-time we scored a brilliant second. A high ball wasn't cleared by the Dundee defence and Eamonn Bannon overhead kick beat Tom Carson. A minute later we almost got a third when a swift break gave Kevin Gallacher a shooting chance but his shot was defelcted for a corner.

Activity was still centred round the Dundee goal after the break, Carson brilliantly saved a shot on the turn by Ian Redford and pounced quickly to prevent an own goal when Wes Saunder's backheader from a corner looked netbound. On the hour mark Dundee pulled one back in a rare attack. Substitute Graham Harvey hooked the ball over Alan Main from the edge of the box. This spurred Dundee and Shannon then shot wide. But we came back at Carson who somehow tipped a 30 yarder from Eamonn Bannon round the post. A minute later there were more heroics from the Dundee keeper, this time when he tipped away a Gary McGinnis shot. At the other end Forsyth shot past but in the 72nd minute Dundee equalised. Alan Main failed to hold a cross and Tommy Coyne squeezed the ball home. With seven minutes to go it was Alan Main's turn to show his paces, pushing a Jim Smith drive for a corner. The pace of the game never slackened, Despite the deteriorating ground conditions both sides had chances to win in the dying stages.

During extra time we gained the upper hand and Carson made another fine save from a first time effort by lain Ferguson. He followed this up by tipping over an awkward cross from Kevin Gallacher. Dave Narey, up for a corner then headed past and before the end of the first period of extra time, Carson saved from Gallacher.

Into the final quarter of an hour and Eamonn Bannon had a couple of shots. Dundee's most threatening attack of the additional thirty minutes was a shot from Ian Angus that sailed fractionally past the post. So its on to Dens Park for part three of this Cup saga.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info