Arbroath 0 - 7 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - 3rd Round
Saturday, January 30th, 1988, 3:00 PM at Gayfield Park
Attendance: 5,905
Referee: D Miller (Glasgow)
Arbroath Dundee Utd

None. Ian Redford (15)
Maurice Malpas (30)
Mixu Paatelainen (36)
J Alan Irvine (47)
Eamonn Bannon (64)
Hamish French (70)
J Alan Irvine (72)

Team Managers
John Young Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Derek Jackson
Brian Mitchell
Dean Laing
Robert Anderson
George Mackie
Paul Anderson
Bobby Forrest
Drew Brannigan
Alan McKenna
Jimmy Fotheringham
Frank Morrison
Billy Thomson
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Eamonn Bannon
Jim McInally
Dave Bowman
Mixu Paatelainen
Ian Redford
J Alan Irvine
Hamish French

David Burnside
Bradley Kerr
John Clark
Iain Ferguson

David Burnside for Frank Morrison (52)
Bradley Kerr for Alan McKenna (66)
Iain Ferguson for Mixu Paatelainen (60)
John Clark for Paul Hegarty (74)

George Mackie (36) None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 152 apps -
Maurice Malpas 329 apps11 goals
Dave Narey 689 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 637 apps80 goals
Eamonn Bannon 420 apps105 goals
Jim McInally 76 apps3 goals
Dave Bowman 70 apps -
Mixu Paatelainen 12 apps5 goals
Ian Redford 123 apps25 goals
J Alan Irvine 12 apps2 goals
Hamish French 11 apps2 goals
John Clark (sub) 123 apps19 goals
Iain Ferguson (sub) 86 apps40 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Mixu Paatelainen (21 years 1 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 197 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 125 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Mixu Paatelainen (21 years 1 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 197 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 327 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Ian Redford scored for the 25th time for the Club.

Our quickly improving form and confidence meant we soon established a stranglehold on this tie. After an even opening quarter of an hour, we made the breakthrough. Hamish French won the ball deep in his own half, passed to Alan Irvine who found Ian Redford just inside his own half but with a clear run in on goal. He advanced to the penalty box before despatching the ball past Jackson. On the half hour mark skipper Maurice Malpas ran on to a ball and beat Arbroath's off-side trap and neatly beat the advancing Jackson. Our third goal also stemmed from a ball which beat the home defence's off-side trap. Alan Irvine ran on to a ball chipped over the defence and crossed from near the bye-line for Mixu Paatelainen to knock home at the far post.

Less than two minutes into the second half we made it four. The Arbroath 'keeper mis-kicked when attempting a clearance, Hamish French controlled the ball and slipped it to Alan Irvine. whose lob from 30 yards beat the stranded Jackson. In the 64th minute substitute lain Ferguson turned quickly to take him clear of the defence. Jackson blocked his shot sending the ball high into the air and Eamonn Bannon rose to nod the ball home. With twenty minutes left Alan Irvine crossed for Hamish French to rise and head the sixth into the top left hand corner. Two minutes later Hamish returned the compliment finding Alan Irvine in space. Jackson brilliantly blocked his first effort but was powerless to stop Alan's second effort. Before the end lain Ferguson almost made it eight and a Forrest header almost got Arbroath a consolation goal.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info