Dundee Utd 1 - 2 Aberdeen

League - SPL
Monday, January 2nd, 2012, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 11,741
Referee: Steven McLean
Dundee Utd  Aberdeen

Jon Daly (6)
Mohamed Chalali (67)
Kári Árnason (86)

Team Managers
Peter Houston
Craig Brown

Starting Eleven
Duan Perni
Paul Dixon
Robbie Neilson
Sen Dillon
Gavin Gunning
Scott Robertson
John Rankin
Stuart Armstrong
Gary Mackay-Steven
Johnny Russell
Jon Daly
Jason Brown
Ricky Foster
Andrew Considine
Robert Milsom
Kári Árnason
Peter Pawlett
Isaac Osbourne
Fraser Fyvie
Ryan Jack
Scott Vernon
Rory Fallon

Steve Banks
Garry Kenneth
Barry Douglas
Willo Flood
Richie Ryan
Lauri Dalla Valle
Ryan Dow
Jamie Langfield
Rory McArdle
Clark Robertson
Chris Clark
Darren Mackie
Mohamed Chalali
Josh Magennis

Willo Flood for Gary Mackay-Steven (61)
Richie Ryan for Stuart Armstrong (79)
Lauri Dalla Valle for John Rankin (88)
Rory McArdle for Peter Pawlett (60)
Mohamed Chalali for Rory Fallon (65)
Chris Clark for Robert Milsom (82)

Gary Mackay-Steven (58)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Duan Perni (GK) 97 apps -
Robbie Neilson 8 apps -
Sen Dillon 178 apps3 goals
Paul Dixon 128 apps4 goals
Gavin Gunning 21 apps1 goal
Gary Mackay-Steven 17 apps2 goals
Stuart Armstrong 26 apps2 goals
John Rankin 26 apps -
Scott Robertson 107 apps6 goals
Jon Daly 140 apps50 goals
Johnny Russell 64 apps17 goals
Willo Flood (sub) 92 apps1 goal
Richie Ryan (sub) 1 app (debut) -
Lauri Dalla Valle (sub) 14 apps3 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Stuart Armstrong (19 years 282 days)
Oldest Player:Robbie Neilson (31 years 204 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 178 days
Domestic Players:7 (63.64 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Stuart Armstrong (19 years 282 days)
Oldest Player:Steve Banks (39 years 337 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 240 days
Domestic Players:10 (55.56 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Richie Ryan(Signed January 1st, 2012)

Jon Daly scored his 50th goal for the Club.

For the fourth consecutive game Peter Houston named an unchanged starting line up for the visit of Aberdeen. New signing Richie Ryan was listed as a substitute at a packed Tannadice.

United started the game extremely brightly and with two minutes gone a fine pass from Robertson found Russell whose shot was deflected just wide. Four minutes later Jon Daly gave United the perfect start to the New Year. Dixon won a corner and from the resulting kick, Brown punched the ball into the path of Rankin whose shot fell into the path of the United skipper and he fired home in off the post. Just after the quarter hour mark good build up play from Robertson saw him tee up Gunning who sent in a long range shot that deflected and was well saved by Brown. It took Aberdeen 23 minutes to make their first chance and it came from a shot from distance from Foster but his effort did little to trouble Pernis. Foster was involved again when he and Milson combined to set up Fallon but Pernis this time saved well from the Kiwi striker. The Dons then troubled Pernis again but on this occasion the big keeper did well to save an effort from a Jack run and shot. On the half hour mark Mackay-Steven made a great run down the left and swung in a cross that was inches from the head of Daly who was in an excellent position to extend Uniteds lead. The play was flowing nicely and it took a fine interception from Gunning to halt a through ball from Foster to Vernon who was in a dangerous position. With seven minutes of the half remaining Considine and goalkeeper Brown almost gifted United a goal when a breakdown in communication nearly resulted in an own goal but the Aberdeen keeper managed to back-track and stop the ball crossing the line. Five minutes from the break there was uproar amongst the home faithful. Russell was put through after great play from Dixon and just with only the keeper to beat he appeared to be brought down by Considine but unbelievably play was waved on. United were well in control in the first half and were unlucky to only be one up at the break.

The first chance of the second period came from a United free kick that was taken by the impressive Dixon but his swinging effort was deflected wide by the visitors defensive wall. A minute later United went close again when Robertson found Daly at the near post but Uniteds top scorer just missed the target. Shortly after Mackay-Steven was the first man to be cautioned for a late challenge on Osborne. Aberdeen were next to create when a long looping free kick was headed on by Pawlett and the wind caught the ball and Pernis managed to tip the ball over the crossbar. With an hour on the clock both teams changed things around. Firstly McCardle replaced Pawlett for the Dons and then a minute later Flood swapped with Mackay-Steven for United. The third change was the most crucial. After Aberdeen were incorrectly awarded a throw in, Chalali came on for Fallon. The substitute went straight into the box and from the resulting throw McCardle flicked on and the Frenchman scored with his first touch, heading past Pernis. United looked to hit back straight away and perhaps should have restored their lead when Daly knocked down a Dixon free kick into the path of Russell who was denied by a saving tackle by Considine. From the corner the ball eventually fell to Robertson who had a close range shot saved by Brown. Two minutes later United went agonisingly close when Rankin hit the post with a low, long range shot, however the linesman had his flag up for offside. The game was now flowing from end to end and with a quarter of an hour left Aberdeen missed a glaring opportunity. Vernon crossed from the right hand side and an unmarked Milson only had to head into an empty net however remarkably he managed to head the ball away from the goal and United managed to clear. United then introduced their new singing Richie Ryan, who came on for the hard working Armstrong. Two of Uniteds other Irishmen then combined when Flood crossed to Gunning who headed just over the crossbar. Milson was then replaced by Clark for the Dons and then with minutes remaining the game was won by the visitors. There appeared to be very little on when Kari Arnason picked up a loose ball 40 yards from goal but to Uniteds dismay he thundered in a shot that hit the underside of the bar and crossed the goal line to put the visitors into an unlikely lead. United threw everything they could at the visitors to try to salvage a point and after Dalla Valle replaced Rankin in the last minute, Flood crossed to Daly who headed towards goal but Jack cleared off the line. A tough one to take for United after starting the game so brightly. A couple of decisions that went against the hosts certainly proved vital in a hugely entertaining match.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet