Dundee Utd 5 - 0 KFC Winterslag

UEFA Cup - 3rd Round 2nd Leg
Wednesday, December 9th, 1981, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 16,232
Referee: Vojtech Christov (Slovakia)
Mascot: Alan McGregor
Dundee Utd  KFC Winterslag

Eamonn Bannon (24)
Dave Narey (33)
Paul Hegarty (36)
Ralph Milne (50)
Ralph Milne (70)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Mathieu Bollen

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Dave Narey
John Holt
Iain Phillip
Maurice Malpas
Paul Hegarty
Billy Kirkwood
Eamonn Bannon
Ralph Milne
Paul Sturrock
Davie Dodds
Jean-Paul de Bruyne
Paul Lambrichts
Carlo Weis
Walter Vitali
Patrick Houben
Mathy Billen
Pieter Denier
Matthieu Denier
Luc Thijs
Roger Albertsen
Karl Berger

John Gardiner
Derek Stark
Richard Gough
Ian Gibson
John Reilly
Renaat de Zutter
Marco Vitali
Guido Davids
Danny Kaes
DaniŽl de Raeve

Ian Gibson for John Holt (46)
Marco Vitali for Luc Thijs (46)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 496 apps3 goals
Dave Narey 367 apps23 goals
John Holt 173 apps14 goals
Iain Phillip 123 apps1 goal
Maurice Malpas 3 apps -
Paul Hegarty 320 apps51 goals
Billy Kirkwood 196 apps45 goals
Eamonn Bannon 117 apps31 goals
Ralph Milne 81 apps23 goals
Paul Sturrock 303 apps93 goals
Davie Dodds 147 apps54 goals
Ian Gibson (sub) 17 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (19 years 133 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 331 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 361 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (19 years 133 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 331 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 56 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


The conditions for the return leg against Winterslag in Dundee couldn't have been more contrasting from the rain soaked, mud-churned ones in Belgium, where United had held out comfortably for a goalless draw. Iain Phillip returned to the starting eleven, and after just two first team appearances, 19 year-old Maurice Malpas was given his European debut as the sides kicked off on a frozen Tannadice Park.

It was a slow start from United, taking eight minutes before they looked a serious threat. Paul Sturrock beat two men before hitting his shot over the bar. A Ralph Milne cross was then met by Paul Hegarty, who's header was held by de Bruyne. In the 17th minute, Malpas was close to scoring his first goal for the club, his first shot blocked and his follow up going narrowly past the post. The opening goal came after 24 minutes when a John Holt shot was blocked and Eamonn Bannon slammed in the rebound. Eight minutes later, Dave Narey advanced upfield to increase the lead, scoring with a header after his first shot spun up into the air after being blocked. His defensive team-mate Paul Hegarty made it three with a high floating header from a Paul Sturrock cross.

Both sides made changes at the interval, with United bringing on Ian Gibson for Holt. United continued to create chances with Sturrock coming close and Bannon forcing the keeper into a brilliant save from a header. Four minutes into the half, Ralph Milne met a Davie Dodds cross to head a fierce fourth goal. With the tie now dead and buried, Ralph Milne scored his second with twenty minutes remaining, leaving the keeper helpless as he converted an Iain Phillip cross. United's 5-0 victory was an historic occasion, as it eased them into the quarter-finals of a European tournament for the first time since their first European match in 1966.

Another very warm welcome back to Tannadice for what we hope can be a repeat of one of the more memorable occasions here in European competition. Certainly the tie provides us with the ideal opportunity of at last breaking through in Europe, a level which I admit myself has often caught us out in the past. However this season has already provided us with some confidence with which to take into tonight's highly important tie. Naturally one hopes that we can regain the type of form which blitzed the Germans in the last round, although to be fair that level of performance is extremely difficult for the players to reach again. However it is going to take a display somewhere in that region to take us through to the last eight of the competition, against a side which will most assuredly not make things easy for us. To be perfectly blunt we might have been better prepared for the occasion in that things really haven't been clicking properly in recent outings. We have been managing to get in behind opposition defences as usual - but that final ball and finishing!

In fact that's all we have worked on in our preparations for tonight, so glaringly obvious were these deficiencies against Hibs last weekend - and in Belgium last midweek. Mind you, it was hard to be overcritical in those conditions in Genk, although I would have been a lot happier going in tonight with at least one away goal to our credit. Tonight it is all going to be about patience once again. Most certainly going out to win the tie, but with a caution sufficient to ensure that we do not get caught on the break.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet