Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 - 0 Dundee Utd

UEFA Cup - 2nd Round 1st Leg
Tuesday, October 20th, 1981, 7:30 PM at Bökelberg
Attendance: 31,000
Referee: Nicolae Rainea (Romania)
Borussia Mönchengladbach Dundee Utd

Frank Schäffer (70)
Wilfried Hannes (86)

Team Managers
Jupp Heynckes Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Wolfgang Kleff
Wilfried Hannes
Frank Schäffer
Hans-Günter Bruns
Jürgen Fleer
Norbert Ringels
Uwe Rahn
Wolfram Wuttke
Frank Mill
Lothar Matthäus
Kurt Pinkall
Hamish McAlpine
Paul Hegarty
Derek Murray
John Holt
Dave Narey
Iain Phillip
Frank Kopel
Ralph Milne
Billy Kirkwood
Eamonn Bannon
Davie Dodds

Ulrich Sude
Armin Veh
Bernd Schmider
Stefan Born
Peter Loontiens
John Gardiner
Richard Gough
Ian Gibson
John Reilly
Graeme Payne

Armin Veh for Uwe Rahn (70) None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 485 apps3 goals
Paul Hegarty 308 apps49 goals
Derek Murray 6 apps -
John Holt 162 apps14 goals
Dave Narey 355 apps22 goals
Iain Phillip 115 apps1 goal
Frank Kopel 404 apps13 goals
Ralph Milne 69 apps16 goals
Billy Kirkwood 185 apps43 goals
Eamonn Bannon 105 apps26 goals
Davie Dodds 135 apps51 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ralph Milne (20 years 165 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 281 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 252 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Richard Gough (19 years 203 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 281 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 280 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


For their UEFA Cup second round tie, United headed to Germany for the 1st leg to face one of the top clubs in Europe who had reached five European finals over the past decade. With Paul Sturrock and Graeme Payne still struggling with injuries, manager Jim McLean stuck with the same starting eleven that picked up a point against Celtic at the weekend.

United sat back early on, allowing the confident Germans to build from deep in their own half, and in the 15th minute Hamish McAlpine easily held a Frank Schäffer header. A minute later Eamonn Bannon came to the rescue to clear from Jürgen Fleer as they looked to score. Uwe Rhan then collected a Joh Holt clearance to shoot wide before Frank Kopel blocked a Hans-Günter Bruns close range effort. Just before the break Frank Mill went down in the box after a tackle from Davie Dodds, but with the referee dismissing the claim, Wolfram Wuttke was booked for his protests.

After a fantastic defensive display in the first half, United nearly took the lead within a couple of minutes of the restart, with a Ralph Milne header from a Kopel cross going just past the post. A minute later Milne raced down the wing to set up Bannon, who was just inches away from beating the out-rushing keeper. United now looked the more likely to score, and Dodds flicked to Milne who's right foot shot was stopped by Kleff. However, with 20 minutes to go, Frank Schäffer rose to head a corner from the right past McAlpine. Then in the 87th minute another corner was met by the head of Wilfried Hannes to put the Germans two up.

United left themselves with an uphill battle after what had looked to be a very controlled and accomplished performance was ruined by a final twenty minutes in which two headed goals were enough to put United in a precarious position ahead of the second leg at Tannadice.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet