Dundee Utd 1 - 2 AS Monaco

UEFA Cup - 1st Round 2nd Leg
Wednesday, September 30th, 1981, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 12,013
Referee: Roger Verhaeghe (Belgium)
Mascot: Michael Burns
Dundee Utd  AS Monaco

Ralph Milne (83)
Ralf Edström (47)
Bruno Bellone (59)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Gérard Banide

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Paul Hegarty
Iain Phillip
John Holt
Derek Stark
Dave Narey
Billy Kirkwood
Eamonn Bannon
Davie Dodds
Graeme Payne
Paul Sturrock
Jean-Luc Ettori
Manuel Amoros
Abdallah Liegeon
Thierry Ninot
Jacques Perais
Didier Christophe
Dominique Bijotat
Claude Puel
Alain Couriol
Ralf Edström
Bruno Bellone

John Gardiner
Richard Gough
John Reilly
Ralph Milne
Hervé Orgeret
Guy Mengual
Jean-Marc Valadier
Serge Recordier

Ralph Milne for Graeme Payne (76)
Jean-Marc Valadier for Alain Couriol (67)
Serge Recordier for Manuel Amoros (84)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 480 apps3 goals
Paul Hegarty 303 apps49 goals
Iain Phillip 110 apps1 goal
John Holt 159 apps14 goals
Derek Stark 129 apps3 goals
Dave Narey 352 apps22 goals
Billy Kirkwood 180 apps43 goals
Eamonn Bannon 100 apps26 goals
Davie Dodds 130 apps50 goals
Graeme Payne 273 apps19 goals
Paul Sturrock 290 apps85 goals
Ralph Milne (sub) 64 apps15 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Derek Stark (22 years 321 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 261 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 223 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Richard Gough (19 years 183 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (33 years 261 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 114 days
Domestic Players:15 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Eamonn Bannon played his 100th major competitive game for the Club.

Monaco arrived at Tannadice for the 2nd leg requiring four goals to give them any chance of going though. There were three changes from the previous weeks win over Hamilton, with Hamish McAlpine, Derek Stark and Billy Kirkwood coming in for Andy Graham, Richard Gough and John Reilly. With Prince Rainier and Princess Grace, of the Principality in attendance, United failed to live up to the high standards set in the first leg.

United made a good start but dropped the pace soon after allowing Monaco to take control of this game. With no goals in the first 45 minutes, it took only 60 seconds for Monaco to notch in the second half. It was Swedish international Edstroem who scored, adding to his goal in the 1st leg, this time powerfully heading past McAlpine via the underside of the bar.

In 59 minutes, United's aggregate lead was reduced to a single goal as Bruno Bellone unleashed a swerving 30 yarder into the net. United tried to fight back, but Eamonn Bannon's header was inches wide. With United starting to look nervous, it took an inspired substitution in the 76th minute, with Ralph Milne on for Graeme Payne, to lift the atmosphere at Tannadice. The substitute calmed the United support when, with eight minutes to go, he was on the spot to slide home a low Paul Sturrock cross from close in. Seconds later only a brilliant full-length save from McAlpine prevented Edstroem grabbing another, as he pushed the ball on to the post. Monaco pushed everything into attack and came close several times in the final five minutes, but United held out to progress through to the second round draw.

First of all allow me to apologise on behalf of everyone here at Tannadice to all fans of both clubs for the inconvenience caused by the late postponement of the Premier League game against Rangers last Saturday. The disappointment came at a stage when the game north of the border can scarcely afford such misfortunes, when clubs throughout the country, including our own, are involved in attempts to get closer to you the fans — not further away. But let me say emphatically that absolutely no blame can be placed at anybody's door concerning that match-off decision. Had the pitch inspection been carried out at 1.00 p.m. instead of forty-five minutes later, then the game would have been given the go-ahead, but then came further heavy rain. Quite frankly the game could not have been called off any earlier than it was, and had it got a thumbs-up decision by the referee, I do not believe for one minute that the proceedings could have been completed — such was the intensity of the showers around the 4.00 p.m. mark.

With both ourselves and Rangers facing European ties tonight, it was natural that each of us were disappointed at the weekend failure to gain match practice, and in our own case seek revenge for that Scottish Cup final replay defeat by the Ibrox men last season. Tonight's visit of UEFA Cup opponents AS Monaco will provide our side with a situation and test which has seldom before been faced in European competition. That first leg lead of ours was secured through adopting the right attitude for the occasion and tonight must be no different. No slackness, an early goal to completely clinch the tie, then hopefully the entertainment you all see.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet