St Mirren 0 - 1 Dundee Utd

League Cup - Sectional Tie
Saturday, August 16th, 1969, 7:30 PM at Love Street
Attendance: 6,363
Referee: J H McKee (Kirkintilloch)
St Mirren Dundee Utd

None. Kenny Cameron (70)

Team Managers
Alex Wright Jerry Kerr

Starting Eleven
Jim Thorburn
Cammie Murray
Bobby Duffy
Willie Fulton
Andy McFadden
Eric Murray
Archie McCuaig
Jim Blair
Hugh Gilshan
Peter Kane
Tommy Knox
Don Mackay
Billy Bremner
Stuart Markland
Jim Cameron
Andy Rolland
Doug Smith
Davie Wilson
Alec Reid
Ian Letford
Kenny Cameron
Dennis Gillespie

Ronnie Hamilton Ian Mitchell

None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Don Mackay (GK) 177 apps -
Billy Bremner 1 app (debut) -
Stuart Markland 10 apps -
Jim Cameron 65 apps -
Andy Rolland 77 apps9 goals
Doug Smith 376 apps2 goals
Davie Wilson 71 apps15 goals
Alec Reid 45 apps3 goals
Ian Letford 1 app (debut) -
Kenny Cameron 45 apps37 goals
Dennis Gillespie 404 apps112 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Stuart Markland (21 years 191 days)
Oldest Player:Ian Letford (-1 years 228 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 109 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Stuart Markland (21 years 191 days)
Oldest Player:Billy Bremner (-1 years 228 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 327 days
Domestic Players:12 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Billy Bremner(Signed September 27th, 1967)
Ian Letford(Signed July 23rd, 1969)


Alex Stuart was out after only two games for his new club. Stewart Markland replaced him in the side. Bremner took over at right-back to allow Rolland to move forward. Eighteen year old Ian Letford who had just signed from Cambuslang Rangers, took over at inside right. Mitchell was dropped to the bench.

United started brightly and Cameron was first to try his luck but his shot from the edge of the penalty area rolled by the post. United had a lucky escape in the 12th minute when MacKay made a point blank save from Gilshan. Kenny Cameron then fluffed a great chance in front of goal and Thorburn collected.

In the second half MacKay was tested a number of times in the early stages. First Gilshan latched onto a McCaig pass but the United 'keeper saved. Then MacKay had to dive at full stretch to save a 25 yarder from Hamilton. Young Letford was looking dangerous and he tried a long ranger after a good run but Thorburn held comfortably. With United gaining control of this game they were able to capitalise. Markland slid the ball through to Rolland and the winger held off the St Mirren defenders before feeding Kenny Cameron who scored easily from close in. St Mirren almost had a penalty in the closing minutes when Bremner cleared a shot off the line. The referee waved play on.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet