Inverness Caledonian Thistle 2 - 0 Dundee Utd

League Cup - 3rd Round
Tuesday, September 20th, 2005, 7:45 PM at Caledonian Stadium
Attendance: 1,919
Referee: John Underhill
Inverness Caledonian Thistle Dundee Utd

Liam Fox (2)
Barry Wilson (41)

Team Managers
Craig Brewster Gordon Chisholm

Starting Eleven
Mark Brown
Russell Duncan
Darren Dods
Grant Munro
Alan Morgan
David Proctor
Richie Hart
Liam Fox
Barry Wilson
Dennis Wyness
Rory McAllister
Derek Stillie
Stuart Duff
Alan Archibald
Paul Ritchie
David McCracken
Peter Canero
Mark Wilson
Grant Brebner
Barry Robson
Lee Miller
David FernŠndez

Michael Fraser
Ian Black
Tom Parratt
Chris Finnigan
Craig Brewster
Euan McLean
Garry Kenneth
Derek McInnes
Collin Samuel
Jim McIntyre

Ian Black for Rory McAllister (85) Collin Samuel for Stuart Duff (45)
Jim McIntyre for Lee Miller (67)
Derek McInnes for Peter Canero (75)

None. Lee Miller

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Derek Stillie (GK) 10 apps -
Stuart Duff 108 apps3 goals
Alan Archibald 98 apps6 goals
Mark Wilson 123 apps11 goals
Paul Ritchie 37 apps -
David McCracken 137 apps5 goals
Peter Canero 3 apps1 goal
Grant Brebner 50 apps5 goals
Barry Robson 83 apps11 goals
Lee Miller 10 apps4 goals
David FernŠndez 6 apps2 goals
Derek McInnes (sub) 71 apps2 goals
Collin Samuel (sub) 59 apps3 goals
Jim McIntyre (sub) 145 apps42 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Mark Wilson (21 years 112 days)
Oldest Player:Derek Stillie (31 years 299 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 135 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Garry Kenneth (18 years 96 days)
Oldest Player:Derek McInnes (34 years 86 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 85 days
Domestic Players:14 (87.50 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Grant Brebner played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.

Although Barry Robson incredibly hit the woodwork three times, all with headers, no one can deny that ICT were the worthy winners.

And whilst United had plenty of possession, they threatened all too rarely against a far more direct and well-organised home outfit.

Arabs had hardly settled in their seats after the long journey north when the home side struck with a goal out of nothing on two minutes. The ball was played out of the ICT defence to Dennis Wyness who laid the ball into the path of Liam Fox and, spotting Derek Stillie off his line, he chipped home from almost thirty yards.

Five minutes later, Barry Robson should have equalised when he had a free header from six yards out but hit the post. Robson was again denied after 37 minutes when his diving header came off the woodwork.

With much less of the ball, ICT always looked dangerous and scored a killer second four minutes from the interval.

Barry Wilson played a one-two with Dennis Wyness and, to take the return pass and hold off Stillieís challenge to eventually prod the ball into an empty net.

With Collin Samuel on for Stuart Duff after the interval, United had their first shot on target within two minutes of the re-start, but the keeper was equal to David Fernandezís low shot.

When Barry Robson hit the post again midway through the second half, you just knew it wasnít going to be Unitedís night.

Making the evening doubling disappointing was that this defeat was inflicted by a home side without four regular first teamers nor Craig Brewster and heralded ICTís first ever victory over United.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet