Celtic 3 - 0 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - Final
Saturday, May 4th, 1974, 3:00 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 75,959
Referee: John Paterson (Bothwell)
Celtic Dundee Utd

Harry Hood (20)
Steve Murray (24)
Dixie Deans (89)

Team Managers
Jock Stein Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Denis Connaghan
Danny McGrain
Jim Brogan
Steve Murray
Billy McNeil
Pat McCluskey
Jimmy Johnstone
Harry Hood
Dixie Deans
Davie Hay
Kenny Dalglish
Sandy Davie
Frank Kopel
Doug Smith
Walter Smith
Jackie Copland
George Fleming
Doug Houston
Archie Knox
Graeme Payne
Pat Gardner
Andy Gray

Tommy Callaghan
Bobby Lennox
Andy Rolland
Tommy Traynor

Tommy Callaghan for Danny McGrain Andy Rolland for Graeme Payne
Tommy Traynor for Walter Smith

Appearances & Goals To Date
Sandy Davie (GK) 182 apps -
Frank Kopel 102 apps6 goals
Doug Smith 583 apps26 goals
Walter Smith 120 apps3 goals
Jackie Copland 124 apps16 goals
George Fleming 98 apps11 goals
Doug Houston 6 apps -
Archie Knox 65 apps16 goals
Graeme Payne 30 apps2 goals
Pat Gardner 98 apps22 goals
Andy Gray 37 apps18 goals
Andy Rolland (sub) 278 apps29 goals
Tommy Traynor (sub) 140 apps17 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Graeme Payne (18 years 85 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (37 years 65 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 313 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Graeme Payne (18 years 85 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (37 years 65 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 184 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


United faced Celtic (fresh from completing 9 in a row league title wins) at Hampden Park in what was the Tannadice mens first ever Scottish Cup Final appearance. Jim McLean rung a few surprises in the side with Andy Rolland dropping to the bench and Pat Gardner retaining the number 2 shirt he had adorned in the cup semi-final. Also, Doug Houston was brought into the side with Tommy Traynor missing out.

United made a good start to the match in front of almost 80,000 spectators. However, a Celtic goal was to change the direction of the game. A high ball found Harry Hood who nodded up and over the advancing 'keeper. Before United were able to regain composure, they went further behind. Just 6 minutes later Steve Murray was the Celt who id the damage.

Both Archie Knox and Andy Gray had chances for United but they were unable to score. Dixie Deans went on to slam home Cetic's third goal late on in the match as United pushed forward and began taking risks. That was how the game would finish with Celtic running out 3-0 victors. Although defeated, United were not disgraced and will hope for a quick return to the final to make amends.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet