Dundee Utd 1 - 0 Greenock Morton

Scottish Cup - 4th Round
Sunday, February 17th, 1974, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 6,000
Referee: Bobby Davidson (Airdrie)
Dundee Utd  Greenock Morton

Brian Rankin (61)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Hal Stewart

Starting Eleven
Sandy Davie
Andy Rolland
Doug Smith
John Holt
Walter Smith
Jackie Copland
Frank Kopel
George Fleming
Archie Knox
Brian Rankin
Pat Gardner
Roy Baines
Davie Hayes
Mike Hepburn
George Anderson
John Nelson
Stan Rankin
Neil Murray
Danny McCallion
Hugh McIlmoyle
Alan Johnstone
John Lavelle

Sean Sheehy
Graeme Payne
Billy Osborne
Ian Hunter

Graeme Payne for Andy Rolland

Appearances & Goals To Date
Sandy Davie (GK) 168 apps -
Andy Rolland 265 apps28 goals
Doug Smith 566 apps22 goals
John Holt 3 apps -
Walter Smith 104 apps3 goals
Jackie Copland 111 apps14 goals
Frank Kopel 86 apps6 goals
George Fleming 82 apps9 goals
Archie Knox 50 apps11 goals
Brian Rankin 3 apps1 goal
Pat Gardner 86 apps20 goals
Graeme Payne (sub) 16 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:John Holt (17 years 92 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (36 years 354 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 314 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:John Holt (17 years 92 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (36 years 354 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 301 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Archie Knox played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.
Brian Rankin scored his first goal for the Club.

The restrictions of the three day week brought Sunday football to Tannadice for the first time as the sides disputed the right to appear in the quarterfinals. Conditions were well nigh perfect but, unfortunately, that failed to provide an enthralling Cup-tie. The match generally was scrappy and for so long the tie seemed destined for a goal-less draw and replay. Archie Knox came closest to scoring in the early stages and that prompted Morton into retaliation, and the visitors came close on three occasions, particularly on the latter, when George Fleming had to head a Hugh Mcllmoyle shot off the line. Three minutes later George was in action at the other end with a header which went only inches past. Obviously Manager Jim McLean's half-time lecture had its desired effect as the Tannadice men buzzed round Roy Baines' goal. The game progressed somewhat haphazardly until the 61st minute, that is! The ball had been hovering around the Morton box when it arrived at the feet of Brian Rankin. The 18 year old responded by instantly crashing a venemous left-foot shot which screamed past a helpless Roy Baines. Apart from a John Holt clearance on the line, United had few further anxious moments in a match in which they rarely played well, but a passport to a quarter-final tie with Dunfermline was more than acceptable solace for the standard of performance. Unfortunately, notwithstanding a fine Sunday afternoon only 7,000 watched what was overall a disappointing tie. We, of course, went on to reach our first final that season.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet