Newcastle United 4 - 1 Dundee Utd

(After extra time)
Texaco Cup - Semi Final 2nd Leg
Wednesday, December 19th, 1973, 7:30 PM at St James Park
Attendance: 5,009
Referee: Ivan Smith (Accrington, England)
Newcastle United Dundee Utd

Keith Robson (1)
John Tudor (64)
Malcolm MacDonald (81)
Tommy Cassidy (103)
Andy Gray (6)

Team Managers
Joe Harvey Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Willie McFaul
David Craig
Frank Clark
Terry McDermott
Pat Howard
Bobby Moncur
Tommy Gibb
Tommy Cassidy
John Tudor
Keith Robson
Terry Hibbitt
Hamish McAlpine
Andy Rolland
Walter Smith
Frank Kopel
Jackie Copland
George Fleming
Duncan MacLeod
Archie Knox
Tommy Traynor
Pat Gardner
Andy Gray

Stewart Barrowclough
Malcolm MacDonald
Sandy Davie
Dave Narey

None. Dave Narey for Archie Knox

Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 128 apps -
Frank Kopel 77 apps5 goals
Jackie Copland 102 apps14 goals
Andy Rolland 258 apps28 goals
Walter Smith 95 apps3 goals
Archie Knox 41 apps10 goals
Tommy Traynor 115 apps11 goals
George Fleming 73 apps8 goals
Duncan MacLeod 12 apps1 goal
Pat Gardner 77 apps16 goals
Andy Gray 21 apps8 goals
Dave Narey (sub) 5 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Andy Gray (18 years 24 days)
Oldest Player:Andy Rolland (31 years 45 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 110 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Dave Narey (17 years 194 days)
Oldest Player:Andy Rolland (31 years 45 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 291 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Andy Gray reached 10 goals for the Club.

Only 5000 turned up (The lowest ever for Newcastle) for this match at St James Park that saw Newcastle overturn a two goal deficit to win the tie 4-3 on aggregate. Despite the scoreline, United could have won this game. However, they barely had time to settle before Newcastle took the lead.

After just 85 seconds, Tommy Gibb lofted the ball into the United penalty area, McAlpine misjudged it and Robson stormed in to head home.

However, the tangerines bounced back instantly and equalised in the 6th minute when Andy Gray headed home a Traynor cross. As the game edge toward half-time it looked like United were cruising. McAlpine even saved a penalty after Robson was brought down.

In the second half however, things were to change. In 64 minutes Newcastle scored when Tudor header home. United composed themselves again but there was trouble in store with nine minutes remaining. Sub MacDonald took advantage of a Copland error to score the leveller.

The match went into extra time and the deciding goal cam in 103 minutes when Cassidy managed to steer the ball home after a scramble in the six yard box.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet