Dundee Utd 2 - 1 Dundee

League - Division One
Saturday, September 16th, 1972, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 12,071
Referee: Tommy Marshall (Baillieston)
Dundee Utd  Dundee

Pat Gardner (43)
Sandy White (83)
Bobby Ford (3)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
David White

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Stuart Markland
Jackie Copland
Andy Rolland
Frank Kopel
Billy Gray
Tommy Traynor
Jim Henry
Sandy White
Pat Gardner
Kenny Cameron
Mike Hewitt
Bobby Wilson
Doug Houston
Bobby Robinson
Iain Phillip
George Stewart
Jimmy Wilson
Bobby Ford
John Gray
Jocky Scott
John Lambie

Ian Mitchell
Ian Anderson

None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 78 apps -
Stuart Markland 88 apps2 goals
Jackie Copland 48 apps13 goals
Andy Rolland 209 apps21 goals
Frank Kopel 19 apps2 goals
Billy Gray 42 apps1 goal
Tommy Traynor 72 apps9 goals
Jim Henry 101 apps7 goals
Sandy White 23 apps9 goals
Pat Gardner 22 apps3 goals
Kenny Cameron 121 apps70 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Sandy White (21 years 323 days)
Oldest Player:Andy Rolland (29 years 316 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 68 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Sandy White (21 years 323 days)
Oldest Player:Andy Rolland (29 years 316 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 73 days
Domestic Players:12 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


The sides announced just before kick-off provided shocks galore for the 13,000 assembled on the Tannadice slopes. Dropped from the United side were, stalwarts, Doug Smith and lan Mitchell. Dundee manager, Davie White, also made changes, but these were mainly enforced by the injuries to lan Scott, the ex-United striker, Gordon Wallace and John Duncan. John Gray, ex-Blantyre Celtic, was given his first appearance, and Bobby Ford moved into the front-line.

Although Pat Gardner brought out the first save of the game, it was injury-hit Dundee who grabbed a morale-boosting early lead in four minutes. Duncan Lambie's left-wing run took him to the by-line, and his cross found Bobby Ford unmarked, and the make-shift striker headed his first goal for the Dundee club. As the half progressed, United had more and more of the game, but failed to make much impact on the Dundee rear-guard, but two minutes from half-time came the goal they needed so badly. Jim Henry rounded two men on the right, and Pat Gardner beat Mike Hewitt with a glancing header from Jim's perfect cross.

United were looking the more inventive side after the break, but Jocky Scott almost regained the lead for Dundee with a header which skimmed the post. A bit of needle crept into the match, and Duncan Lambie was booked for a foul on Jim Henry who was also entered into the referee's book for talking out of turn. Tommy Traynor brought out the save of the match from Mike Hewitt as the game swung from end to end, and almost emulated it when he pushed a Henry shot round the post. The subsequent corner, however, produced the winner. Pat Gardner's corner was flicked on by Jim Henry to winger, Sandy White who smashed the ball into the net via the underside of the bar. Only seven minutes remained, and in the end, Dundee, after starting brightly, eventually found the handicap of playing without three top forwards too big a handicap to overcome.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet