Dundee Utd 3 - 2 St Mirren

Scottish Cup - 3rd Round
Tuesday, January 16th, 2007, 7:45 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 4,010
Referee: Charlie Richmond
Dundee Utd  St Mirren

Barry Robson (31)
Garry Kenneth (46)
David Robertson (90)
Richard Brittain (pen) (76)
John Sutton (81)

Team Managers
Craig Levein
Gus MacPherson

Starting Eleven
Derek Stillie
Alan Archibald
Garry Kenneth
Lee Mair
Keith Watson
Mark Kerr
Barry Robson
Craig Conway
David Robertson
Jon Daly
Collin Samuel
Tony Bullock
Ian Maxwell
John Potter
Kirk Broadfoot
David van Zanten
Andy Millen
Garry Brady
Richard Brittain
Simon Lappin
John Sutton
Mark Corcoran

Euan McLean
David McCracken
Stuart Duff
Noel Hunt
David Goodwillie
Chris Smith
David McKenna
Ryan McCay
Alan Reid
Stewart Kean

Stuart Duff for Barry Robson (59)
David McCracken for Keith Watson (85)
Stewart Kean for Andy Millen (56)
Alan Reid for Simon Lappin (71)

Jon Daly (37)
Andy Millen (52)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Derek Stillie (GK) 60 apps -
Alan Archibald 144 apps7 goals
Garry Kenneth 42 apps3 goals
Keith Watson 1 app (debut) -
Lee Mair 30 apps1 goal
Mark Kerr 137 apps5 goals
Barry Robson 134 apps21 goals
Craig Conway 25 apps -
David Robertson 28 apps5 goals
Jon Daly 2 apps -
Collin Samuel 118 apps15 goals
Stuart Duff (sub) 154 apps4 goals
David McCracken (sub) 189 apps8 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Keith Watson (17 years 67 days)
Oldest Player:Derek Stillie (33 years 52 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 191 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Keith Watson (17 years 67 days)
Oldest Player:Derek Stillie (33 years 52 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 341 days
Domestic Players:13 (81.25 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Keith Watson(Signed December 23rd, 2006)


David Robertson was the hero for United as his injury time strike cancelled out a St Mirren comeback from two goals down, sending the Terrors into a 4th round meeting with Inverness.

After a very low key opening 10 minutes in which neither side created a notable opportunity, St Mirren momentarily thought they had taken a shock lead after a Mark Corcoran Cross was headed into the net by John Sutton, however the goal was correctly disallowed for offside. This scare was followed by a close thing at the other end, as United threatened with a long range Collin Samuel volley which was only narrowly wide of Bullock’s right post. With United looking livelier at this stage, much of the home crowd thought their team had gone ahead a minute later when a Lee Mair shot came dangerously close to crossing the line, before Bullock gathered the ball following a goal line scramble. After a period on top United went into a deserved lead after 30 minutes when, after Conway won a free kick at the edge of the box, Barry Robson curled a delightful shot across Bullock’s goal and into his top right corner.

In stark contrast to the opening period, the second half got off to a flier and within a minute United were 2-0 ahead. Robson had played a sublime ball down the left wing for Conway to chase, from which the young winger forced a corner. Conway took the kick and swung a high ball to the back post which was met by Garry Kenneth who headed powerfully home from 6 yards. 10 minutes later St Mirren had their best opportunity of the match when John Sutton burst through on the United goal. Stillie did well to force the striker wide, however Sutton still managed to cross the ball into the centre, only for sub Stewart Kean to head over an unguarded net from 6 yards. United went close again in the 59th minute when a Jon Daly header from a Keith Watson cross narrowly missed the right corner then in 63 minutes Samuel passed inside to Mark Kerr at the edge of the box, and the midfielder went close with a chip which just cleared the bar. In 75 minutes St Mirren were given a lifeline when Jon Daly was judged to have fouled Kirk Broadfoot inside the area, with the striker appearing to know little about the challenge. Richard Brittain took the kick and placed the ball confidently into the corner sending Stillie the wrong way. Matters took a turn for the worse for the home with 80 minutes played when the ball fell kindly to John Sutton just inside the area, and he slotted calmly past Stillie to level the game. Sutton had an opportunity late on to put the visitors in the lead, and forced Stillie into a smart block after evading Kenneth at the back post. Despite late St Mirren pressure there was to be an unbelievable ending as David Robertson slammed home a dramatic injury time winner. Samuel did well to keep the ball in play before Conway cut back to the on-rushing Robertson who drilled the ball into the corner of the net from 8 yards out to send the fans behind the goal into raptures and United into the next round.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet