Celtic 2 - 1 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - Final
Saturday, May 14th, 1988, 3:00 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 68,090
Referee: George Smith (Edinburgh)
Celtic Dundee Utd

Frank MacAvennie (76)
Frank MacAvennie (89)
Kevin Gallacher (49)

Team Managers
Billy McNeill Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Alan McKnight
Chris Morris
Anton Rogan
Roy Aitken
Mick McCarthy
Derek Whyte
Joe Miller
Paul McStay
Frank MacAvennie
Andy Walker
Tommy Burns
Billy Thomson
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Jim McInally
Mixu Paatelainen
Eamonn Bannon
Billy McKinlay
Dave Bowman
Iain Ferguson
Kevin Gallacher

Billy Stark
Mark McGhee
John Clark
Paul Sturrock

Billy Stark for Derek Whyte (69)
Mark McGhee for Andy Walker (69)
John Clark for Mixu Paatelainen (71)

Roy Aitken (47)
Anton Rogan (61)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 164 apps -
Dave Narey 710 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 658 apps81 goals
Maurice Malpas 350 apps11 goals
Jim McInally 97 apps4 goals
Mixu Paatelainen 26 apps11 goals
Eamonn Bannon 440 apps108 goals
Billy McKinlay 19 apps1 goal
Dave Bowman 90 apps1 goal
Iain Ferguson 104 apps44 goals
Kevin Gallacher 120 apps26 goals
John Clark (sub) 137 apps20 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Billy McKinlay (19 years 27 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 302 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 67 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Billy McKinlay (19 years 27 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 302 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 149 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


The adage that lightning doesn't strike twice was disproved in our fifth Scottish Cup final appearance! Only three years have passed since the 1985 Cup final when we lead Celtic by a Stuart Beedie until late in the game before the Parkhead men hit us late in the game with goals by Provan and McGarvey. Well that was all too accurate dress rehearsal of the 1988 version.

Chances in the first half were limited. Joe Miller scorned a good chance in the 21st minute when his header was scrambled clear. This countered a bright start by us, in which a header by Mixu Paatelainen was cleared off the line by Paul McStay.

Immediately after the interval Kevin Gallacher, now playing through the middle was brought down by Roy Aitken, who was booked. McKnight saved Eamonn Bannon's free-kick, a goal was only very briefly delayed. Bannon won the ball from the-kick out and found Kevin Gallacher who outpace Roy Aiken before firing in a magnificent shot high into the net.

Following the goal we enjoyed the better of things and Eamonn Bannon missed a similar chance to Joe Miller in the first half. Taking heart from that let-off Celtic pulled out all the stops and equalised in the 75th minute when Frank McAvennie headed in a Rogan cross. We hit back and almost went ahead again when Eamonn Bannon failed to connect properly with a cut-back from John Clark. As extra-time loomed tragedy struck. A corner was played short to Stark, whose mighty effort broke to Frank McAvennie, who diverted the ball home.

So Celtic grabbed the glory of the double in their Centenary season and in the manner in which it came about gave one the impression that it was all pre-ordained.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet

Ticket stub / Admission info