Dundee Utd 3 - 3 Clyde

League - Division One
Saturday, February 19th, 1972, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 4,183
Referee: A Paterson (East Kilbride)
Dundee Utd  Clyde

Archie Knox (27)
George Fleming (76)
Kenny Cameron (87)
Billy Hulston (7)
John Flanagan (17)
John Flanagan (69)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Archie Robertson

Starting Eleven
Don Mackay
Stuart Markland
Andy Rolland
Doug Smith
Jim Cameron
George Fleming
Billy Gray
Tommy Traynor
Archie Knox
Kenny Cameron
Pat Gardner
Tommy McCulloch
Eddie Anderson
Allan Swan
Danny McGrain
John McHugh
Jim Burns
Dom Sullivan
Millar Hay
John Flanagan
Billy Hulston
Sam Hastings

Frank Kopel
Harry Glasgow

Frank Kopel for Doug Smith (69)

Appearances & Goals To Date
Don Mackay (GK) 240 apps -
Stuart Markland 79 apps2 goals
Andy Rolland 190 apps21 goals
Doug Smith 488 apps10 goals
Jim Cameron 184 apps1 goal
George Fleming 2 apps1 goal
Billy Gray 23 apps1 goal
Tommy Traynor 60 apps7 goals
Archie Knox 6 apps1 goal
Kenny Cameron 106 apps63 goals
Pat Gardner 3 apps -
Frank Kopel (sub) 3 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:George Fleming (23 years 155 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (34 years 355 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 293 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Frank Kopel (22 years 333 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (34 years 355 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 144 days
Domestic Players:12 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Archie Knox scored his first goal for the Club.
George Fleming scored his first goal for the Club.

Dundee United's recent signing George Fleming made his debut for the Tangerines, while 'keeper MacKay came in to replace injured McAlpine.

Gardener came close to opening the scoring in just five minute but his header from a Traynor cross went over. Three minutes later Clyde shocked United by taking the lead. Billy Hulston struck the ball from over 20 yards to beat MacKay who was standing well off his line. Soon after it was Clyde again on the score sheet. John Flanagan picked up a header from Hay and his angled shot beat the diving MacKay. On the half hour mark, Archie Knox, who had come close moments earlier pulled one back for United. Traynor's corner was met by the head of Knox and the ball went in off the post.

Clyde looked comfortable in the second half and went further ahead in the 69th minute. John Flanagan pushed the ball in after two shots had been stopped on the line. Doug Smith was then taken off to be replaced by Kopel. United then turned the screw and in the 76th minute got a second. George Fleming was the scorer, striking home a rebound. With just minutes left United fans were celebrating a wonderful comeback when Kenny Cameron made it 3-3.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet