Dundee Utd 2 - 1 Greenock Morton

League - Division One
Saturday, January 29th, 1972, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 3,726
Referee: Bill Anderson (East Kilbride)
Dundee Utd  Greenock Morton

Ian Mitchell (68)
Jackie Copland (85)
Joseph Mason (89)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Hal Stewart

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Doug Smith
Joe White
Frank Kopel
Jim Cameron
Stuart Markland
Jim Henry
Archie Knox
Ian Mitchell
Kenny Cameron
Pat Gardner
Erik Sorenson
Davie Hayes
Chris Shevlane
John Clark
George Anderson
Denis Laughton
Steve Chalmers
Jimmy Lumsden
Don Gillies
Joseph Mason
John Murphy

Jackie Copland
Borge Thorup

Jackie Copland for Jim Henry (57)

Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 59 apps -
Doug Smith 485 apps10 goals
Joe White 4 apps -
Frank Kopel 1 app (debut) -
Jim Cameron 181 apps1 goal
Stuart Markland 76 apps2 goals
Jim Henry 92 apps7 goals
Archie Knox 3 apps -
Ian Mitchell 279 apps126 goals
Kenny Cameron 103 apps62 goals
Pat Gardner 1 app (debut) -
Jackie Copland (sub) 30 apps13 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Joe White (21 years 92 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (34 years 334 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 247 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Joe White (21 years 92 days)
Oldest Player:Doug Smith (34 years 334 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 223 days
Domestic Players:12 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Frank Kopel(Signed January 1st, 1972)
Pat Gardner(Signed January 21st, 1972)


Dundee United introduced Frank Kopel into the team for this one with Jackie Copland dropping to the bench. Morton made seven changes to their team from their previous encounter!

United hoped for a penalty in the 9th minute when a Cameron cross was not gathered cleanly by Sorensen and Shevlane, trying to chase the ball fell over it. The referee waved play on. Archie Knox was next to threaten the 'keeper with a shot from 15 yards. Soon after it was Knox again who stung the 'keeper's hands with a free kick. Knox and Sorensen fought out a personal duel in the first half with the United man again denied when his header was brilliantly saved close to half time.

United dominated large portions of the second half but it was not until the 68th minute that the got their noses in front. Ian Mitchell scored the first goal of the game. While chances came and went at each end it looked as though this one would finish 1-0. However, there were a flurry of goals in the last five minutes. Firstly, substitute Jackie Copland doubled United's lead with five remaining and then Joseph Mason pulled one back to give United a nervous last few minutes.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet