Falkirk 0 - 1 Dundee Utd

League Cup - 3rd Round
Tuesday, September 25th, 2007, 7:45 PM at Falkirk Stadium
Attendance: 2,804
Referee: Craig Thomson
Falkirk Dundee Utd

None. Lee Wilkie (60)

Team Managers
John Hughes Craig Levein

Starting Eleven
Tim Krul
Dean Holden
Tam Scobbie
Kenny Milne
Darren Barr
Patrick Cregg
Scott Arfield
Steven Thomson
Arnau Riera
Graham Barrett
Michael Higdon
Grzegorz Szamotulski
Darren Dods
Lee Wilkie
SeŠn Dillon
Prince Buaben
Willo Flood
Mark Kerr
Barry Robson
Morgaro Gomis
Noel Hunt
Jordan Robertson

Robert Olejnik
Russell Latapy
Pedro Moutinho
Carl Finnigan
Gerrard Aafjes
Euan McLean
Garry Kenneth
Greg Cameron
Steven Robb
David Robertson

Russell Latapy for Steven Thomson (48)
Pedro Moutinho for Arnau Riera (67)
Carl Finnigan for Graham Barrett (70)
David Robertson for Morgaro Gomis (90)

Michael Higdon (20)
Arnau Riera (44)
Thomas Scobbie (84)
Patrick Cregg (90)
Barry Robson (24)
Prince Buaben (78)
Jordan Robertson (84)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Grzegorz Szamotulski (GK) 9 apps -
SeŠn Dillon 25 apps1 goal
Lee Wilkie 22 apps2 goals
Darren Dods 9 apps -
Willo Flood 7 apps -
Mark Kerr 155 apps5 goals
Barry Robson 150 apps28 goals
Morgaro Gomis 20 apps -
Prince Buaben 9 apps1 goal
Jordan Robertson 5 apps2 goals
Noel Hunt 40 apps14 goals
David Robertson (sub) 47 apps7 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Prince Buaben (19 years 159 days)
Oldest Player:Darren Dods (32 years 118 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 111 days
Domestic Players:4 (36.36 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Prince Buaben (19 years 159 days)
Oldest Player:Darren Dods (32 years 118 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 55 days
Domestic Players:9 (56.25 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


A second goal in two games for Lee Wilkie was enough to book Unitedís place in the quarter finals of the CIS Cup after a hard-fought and close encounter at the Falkirk Stadium.

Wilkie rose highest in the six-yard box on the hour mark to head home a wicked Barry Robson corner and condemn Falkirk to their second defeat at the hands of United this month.

The goal had come slightly against the run of play and left the hosts rueing a missed penalty just eight minutes earlier.

United boss Craig Levein made only one change from the team that lost to Gretna at the weekend with Mark Kerr in for Stuart Duff. Lining up in a 4-4-2, Barry Robson deputised for the injured Christian Kalvenes at left back.

Robsonís defensive position didnít prevent him getting forward and his running led to the first chance of the match, and the best of the first half, when his cross was met with a bulleted header by Jordan Robertson at the front post but the ball was to fly wide.

The next chance fell to Prince Buaben but his low, controlled shot from 30 yards was safely gathered by Falkirk keeper Tim Krul.

As United continued to dominate possession, Falkirk finally threatened in the 34th minute when a long-range shot from Scott Arfield flew just over the bar, leaving a cool-looking Szamotulski unconcerned.

The final real chance of the half again fell to United. This time a Willo Flood cross looked set to land perfectly on the head of Buaben but the Ghanaian was unable to connect just yards from goal and Kenny Milne was able to clear.

Falkirk started the liveliest in the second half, especially following the introduction of Russell Latapy after 47 minutes. He immediately made an impact when he fed the ball to Patrick Cregg in the box. As Cregg turned back inside, he went down and referee Craig Thomson adjudged that he was clipped by Buaben and awarded a penalty. Cregg himself immediately grabbed the ball and confidently stepped up to take the spot kick but his effort was to clip the bar and go over, much to the relief of the 600 travelling United fans behind the goal.

Ex-United man Latapy again threatened soon after but he saw his 30-yard free kick palmed away to safety by United keeper Szamotulski.

Minutes later, United went ahead. Good running from Willo Flood forced a corner and Robsonís in-swinging delivery was confidently headed home by man of the match Wilkie.

United could have made it two just five minutes later when Gomis was sent clear through the middle. He found Jordan Robertson on the left and the young striker continued into the box only to see his controlled shot beat the keeper but rebound off the post to safety.

Falkirk boss John Hughes made two more substitutions as he tried to get his side back into the game but it was United who were to emerge victorious.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet