Dundee Utd 0 - 0 Standard Liege

UEFA Cup - 1st Round 2nd Leg
Wednesday, September 27th, 1978, 7:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 11,656
Referee: Siegfried Kirschen (West Germany)
Dundee Utd  Standard Liege

None. None.

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Robert Waseige

Starting Eleven
Hamish McAlpine
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Walter Smith
John Holt
Ray Stewart
Frank Kopel
Derek Addison
Davie Dodds
Graeme Payne
Paul Sturrock
Michel Preud'homme
Eric Gerets
Michel Renquin
Theo Poel
Christian Labarbe
Matthieu Denier
Helmut Graf
Asgeir Sigurvinsson
Luís Norton de Matos
Philippe Garot
Willy Wellens

George Fleming
Billy Kirkwood
Jean-Paul Crucifix
Erhan Onal
Pierre Frenay
Gerard Plessers
Frans Beckers

George Fleming for Derek Addison (46)
Billy Kirkwood for Paul Sturrock (71)

Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 336 apps3 goals
Dave Narey 202 apps15 goals
Paul Hegarty 167 apps35 goals
Walter Smith 173 apps3 goals
John Holt 63 apps4 goals
Ray Stewart 17 apps1 goal
Frank Kopel 282 apps7 goals
Derek Addison 67 apps8 goals
Davie Dodds 20 apps6 goals
Graeme Payne 175 apps8 goals
Paul Sturrock 139 apps37 goals
George Fleming (sub) 271 apps32 goals
Billy Kirkwood (sub) 52 apps13 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ray Stewart (19 years 25 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (30 years 257 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 71 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ray Stewart (19 years 25 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (30 years 257 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 120 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Wednesday 27th September 1978, was the date-line for the return leg which proved to be a night of bitter disappointment for Tannadice fans. It might have been different had referee Kirchen from East Germany not chalked off what looked a legitimate United score in the 25th minute. Frank Kopel lobbed the ball into the Standard net, but the referee chalked off the goal for an alleged infringement by Davie Dodds' challenge on the 'keeper.

Five minutes before half-time, Gerets handled a Sturrock cross, but the United appeals were rejected. Almost immediately afterwards, Dave Narey struck the bar. However, Standard, packing midfield, frustrated United, and began to move forward as the game progressed. Icelander Sigurvinsson was only just prevented from scoring by Dave Narey in 57 minutes.

United's task was becoming more difficult and more frustrating by the minute. In 70 minutes Hamish McAlpine brilliantly saved a Graf 40-yarder. United's last chance to take the tie into extra-time came 12 minutes from time, Dave Narey's initial effort was saved by Preud'Homme who couldn't hold the ball, but George Fleming shot the rebound past the post. So Standard survived United's onslaught to qualify by virtue of that single goal in Ghent.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet