Dundee Utd 1 - 4 St Mirren

League - Premier Division
Saturday, March 11th, 1989, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 8,320
Referee: Bill Crombie (Edinburgh)
Dundee Utd  St Mirren

Maurice Malpas (23)
Paul Hegarty o.g. (1)
George Shaw (50)
Paul Chalmers (74)
Keith Walker (79)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Tony Fitzpatrick

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Brian Welsh
Alex Cleland
Dave Narey
Mixu Paatelainen
Jim McInally
Billy McKinlay
Kevin Gallacher
Paul Sturrock
Les Fridge
Robert Dawson
David Winnie
Keith Walker
Brian Martin
Neil Cooper
George Shaw
Paul Lambert
Frank McGarvey
Paul Chalmers
Ian Cameron

Miodrag Krivokapić
John O'Neil
Mark McWalter
Paul Kinnaird

Miodrag Krivokapić for Alex Cleland (55)
John O'Neil for Billy McKinlay (65)
Paul Kinnaird for Paul Lambert (70)
Mark McWalter for Frank McGarvey (80)

None. Paul Chalmers (16)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 202 apps -
Paul Hegarty 688 apps81 goals
Maurice Malpas 389 apps12 goals
Brian Welsh 3 apps1 goal
Alex Cleland 12 apps -
Dave Narey 746 apps36 goals
Mixu Paatelainen 62 apps26 goals
Jim McInally 127 apps5 goals
Billy McKinlay 49 apps2 goals
Kevin Gallacher 154 apps35 goals
Paul Sturrock 567 apps170 goals
Miodrag Krivokapić (sub) 25 apps -
John O'Neil (sub) 1 app (debut) -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Alex Cleland (18 years 96 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (34 years 238 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 342 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:John O'Neil (17 years 253 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (34 years 238 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 211 days
Domestic Players:11 (84.62 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
John O'Neil(Signed July 1st, 1986)


This was one of those afternoon's when virtually nothing went right. Even before the game, John Clark after passing a fitness test, had to pull out with a recurrance of his hamstring problem and within 50 seconds of the start we found ourselves one down through an own goal.

An awkward cross from Shaw was headed past Billy Thomson by Paul Hegarty as he attempted to clear the danger. With skipper Maurice Malpas in midfield we enjoyed almost complete dominance for the rest of the half and did get back on level terms in the 23rd minute. Paul Sturrock was the architect on the left cutting the ball back for Maurice Malpasto scramble the ball home. That unfortunately was about the only thing that went right in the entire ninety minutes!

Five minutes after half-time we fell behind again when George Shaw picked up a slack clearance by Billy Thomson and homed in on goal before firing in a low grounder from 25 yards into the far corner. We created plenty of chances, but Fridge with a save from Paul Sturrock and Martin with goal line clearance from a Mixu Paatelainen header kept Saints ahead. Paul Chalmers then made it 3-1 in 74 minutes, and five minutes later Keith Walker hammered in a McGarvey cut-back to complete an unhappy afternoon. Well not quite because as the match drew to a close Paul Sturrock sent over a cross from the right and Mixu Paatelainen's header looked a certain scorer until Fridge somehow flung himself across goal to Parry and smother Mixu's effort.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet