Falkirk 5 - 1 Dundee Utd

League - SPL
Saturday, October 28th, 2006, 3:00 PM at Falkirk Stadium
Attendance: 5,386
Referee: Dougie McDonald
Falkirk Dundee Utd

Russell Latapy (2)
Anthony Stokes (39)
Anthony Stokes (48)
Mark Twaddle (75)
Anthony Stokes (pen) (89)
Collin Samuel (69)

Team Managers
John Hughes Craig Brewster

Starting Eleven
Jeroen Lambers
Kenny Milne
Steven Thomson
Alan Gow
Russell Latapy
Jack Ross
Mark Twaddle
Patrick Cregg
Stephen O'Donnell
Darren Barr
Anthony Stokes
Euan McLean
Gregg Burnett
Lee Mair
David McCracken
Lee Wilkie
David Proctor
Grant Smith
Greg Cameron
Barry Robson
Noel Hunt
David Goodwillie

Scott Higgins
Karl Dodd
Thomas Scobbie
Vitor Lima
Liam Craig
Tam McManus
Pedro Moutinho
Derek Stillie
Garry Kenneth
Willie Easton
Alan Archibald
Craig Conway
Mark Kerr
Collin Samuel

Thomas Scobbie for Mark Twaddle (78)
Vitor Lima for Steven Thomson (80)
Liam Craig for Stephen O'Donnell (84)
Collin Samuel for David Proctor (46)
Mark Kerr for Gregg Burnett (46)
Craig Conway for David Goodwillie (66)

None. Greg Cameron (30)
Barry Robson (41)
Noel Hunt (61)
Noel Hunt (66)

Red Cards
None. Noel Hunt (66)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Euan McLean (GK) 1 app (debut) -
Gregg Burnett 1 app (debut) -
Lee Mair 18 apps -
David McCracken 179 apps7 goals
Lee Wilkie 1 app (debut) -
David Proctor 12 apps -
Grant Smith 1 app (debut) -
Greg Cameron 20 apps -
Barry Robson 122 apps17 goals
David Goodwillie 13 apps1 goal
Noel Hunt 13 apps3 goals
Mark Kerr (sub) 124 apps5 goals
Craig Conway (sub) 12 apps -
Collin Samuel (sub) 105 apps11 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:David Goodwillie (17 years 218 days)
Oldest Player:Barry Robson (27 years 362 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 58 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:David Goodwillie (17 years 218 days)
Oldest Player:Derek Stillie (32 years 337 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 276 days
Domestic Players:16 (88.89 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Euan McLean(Signed July 1st, 2004)
Grant Smith(Signed September 25th, 2006)
Gregg Burnett(Signed )
Lee Wilkie(Signed October 10th, 2006)


After three consecutive losses, United rang the changes for the visit to Falkirk today. But it was the same old story for travelling Arabs as defensive mistakes – and some controversial refereeing – saw United on the end of another heavy defeat.

Continuing with the 3-5-2 formation introduced at Pittodrie last weekend, in came recent signings Lee Wilkie and Grant Smith for their first team debuts. Also making their first starts in the SPL were young goalkeeper Euan McLean, striker David Goodwillie and midfielder Gregg Burnett who was handed the unenviable task of trying to keep Russell Latapy under wraps.

But from start to finish United failed to get to grips with Falkirk’s live-wire front pairing of Tony Stokes and Alan Gow, with Latapy pulling the strings just behind. Less than two minutes were on the clock when a fine counter-attacking move was completed with Stokes and Gow combining to set up Latapy who slotted home from eight yards.

An early set-back, but United battled away and twice came close to equalising through Noel Hunt. First, put through on goal by a fine Goodwillie pass, the little striker seemed to be scythed down in the penalty box by Kenny Milne – only for a goal-kick to be awarded. Then, just after the half hour mark Hunt latched on to Grant Smith’s deflected shot and looked to have scored with a low drive but Lambers recovered brilliantly to palm the ball away via the post. United keeper McLean hadn’t been troubled since picking the ball out of the net – but disaster struck for the visitors just six minutes before half time. The unfortunate Proctor appeared to slip whilst in possession in the penalty box, and Stokes finished with composure to give Falkirk a two goal cushion at the break.

Two changes in personnel at half time for United – Samuel and Kerr replacing Burnett and Proctor – but things quickly went from bad to worse after the interval. An apparent break down in communication at the back seemed to leave Wilkie unaware of Stokes’s presence, allowing the on-loan Gunner to run though on goal and claim his second and Falkirk’s third. One last change for United saw Conway replace Goodwillie, but any hope of a revival disappeared with Hunt receiving a second yellow card for a tackle on Milne. Substitute Conway’s fine cross from the left did set up Collin Samuel for a headed goal with twenty minutes remaining, but the three goal lead was restored five minutes later when further defensive disorganisation let Marc Twaddle tap home from close range after a Latapy free-kick – 4 v 1.

The game drifted towards the final whistle, but as if to provide a neat summary of United’s problems they lost a fifth just a minute before full time. Lee Mair lost possession cheaply, allowing Stokes to charge into the visitors’ penalty box. Lee Wilkie attempted to recover the situation for United, only to see referee McDonald award a somewhat questionable penalty. Stokes completed his hat-trick from the spot.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet