Greenock Morton 0 - 4 Dundee Utd

League - Premier Division
Saturday, April 30th, 1988, 3:00 PM at Cappielow
Attendance: 1,520
Referee: David Syme (Rutherglen)
Greenock Morton Dundee Utd

None. Mixu Paatelainen (15)
Mixu Paatelainen (44)
Mixu Paatelainen (60)
Mixu Paatelainen (82)

Team Managers
Allan McGraw Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
David Wylie
Alex O'Hara
Brian Robinson
Jim Hunter
Roddie MacDonald
Martin Doak
Ian Clinging
Derek Collins
Rowan Alexander
Archie McGeachie
John McNeil
Billy Thomson
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Alex Cleland
Paul Hegarty
Eamonn Bannon
Billy McKinlay
Dave Bowman
Mixu Paatelainen
Iain Ferguson
Paul Sturrock

Derek McInnes
Jim Arthur
Harry Curran
J Alan Irvine

Derek McInnes for Martin Doak (59)
Jim Arthur for Archie McGeachie (59)
J Alan Irvine for Iain Ferguson (1)
Harry Curran for Eamonn Bannon (81)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 161 apps -
Maurice Malpas 347 apps11 goals
Dave Narey 707 apps36 goals
Alex Cleland 1 app (debut) -
Paul Hegarty 655 apps81 goals
Eamonn Bannon 439 apps108 goals
Billy McKinlay 16 apps1 goal
Dave Bowman 87 apps1 goal
Mixu Paatelainen 24 apps11 goals
Iain Ferguson 102 apps44 goals
Paul Sturrock 559 apps170 goals
Harry Curran (sub) 8 apps -
J Alan Irvine (sub) 19 apps4 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Alex Cleland (17 years 146 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 288 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 163 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Alex Cleland (17 years 146 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 288 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 121 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Alex Cleland(Signed July 1st, 1986)


An impressive performance was marred by injuries to Iain Ferguson, Eamonn Bannon and four goal hero Mixu Paatelainen which meant we ended the match with only 10 men. We attacked right from the start and reward for that pressure came in the 15th minute.

Dave Bowman's reverse pass found Eamonn Bannon whose precision cross was powered home by the head of Mixu Paatelainen. Although we continued to press forward a second goal didn't materialise until the stroke of half time. Mixu Paatelainen chased a Paul Hegarty header and the big Finn's mishit shot was fumbled by Wyllie and trickled into the net.

Paul Sturrock, making a welcome back after almost a six month absence, was the architect of our third goal after an hour. Paul's run down the left to the bye-line and cut the ball back for Mixu Paatelainen to sweep home his third. The fourth goal came out of the blue. The ball broke to Mixu Paatelainen about 20 yards out and the Finn hammered in a shot which Wyllie watched motionlessly enter his right hand post. Shortly afterwards the flying Finn had to limp off leaving us to play out the remaining five minutes a man short, both substitutes having already been utilised.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet