Motherwell 4 - 2 Dundee Utd

League - Premier Division
Saturday, April 16th, 1988, 3:00 PM at Fir Park
Attendance: 3,622
Referee: Andrew Waddell (Edinburgh)
Motherwell Dundee Utd

Steve Cowan (43)
Steve Kirk (48)
Hamish French o.g. (50)
Steve Kirk (89)
Joe McLeod (34)
John Clark (49)

Team Managers
Tommy McLean Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Cammy Duncan
Fraser Wishart
John Philliben
Craig Paterson
Tom McAdam
Tom Boyd
Paul Kinnaird
Bobby Russell
Steve Cowan
Steve Kirk
Gordon Mair
Alan Main
Gary McGinnis
Dave Beaumont
Maurice Malpas
Billy McKinlay
Joe McLeod
J Alan Irvine
Ian McPhee
John Clark
Iain Ferguson
Hamish French

Ray Farningham
Paul Smith
Eamonn Bannon
Jim McInally

Ray Farningham for Gordon Mair (74)
Paul Smith for Paul Kinnaird (85)
Jim McInally for Billy McKinlay (63)
Eamonn Bannon for Ian McPhee (74)

None. Dave Beaumont (85)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 13 apps -
Gary McGinnis 69 apps1 goal
Dave Beaumont 97 apps3 goals
Maurice Malpas 344 apps11 goals
Billy McKinlay 14 apps1 goal
Joe McLeod 15 apps2 goals
J Alan Irvine 17 apps4 goals
Ian McPhee 15 apps2 goals
John Clark 135 apps20 goals
Iain Ferguson 99 apps42 goals
Hamish French 24 apps4 goals
Jim McInally (sub) 92 apps3 goals
Eamonn Bannon (sub) 436 apps108 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Billy McKinlay (18 years 364 days)
Oldest Player:J Alan Irvine (29 years 286 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 26 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Billy McKinlay (18 years 364 days)
Oldest Player:Eamonn Bannon (30 years 6 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 196 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


With injury and suspension causing so many call-offs, our team resembled something of a shadow squad. However, we started well enough and Ian McPhee almost put us ahead after 21 minutes with a 25 yarder which skimmed the bar. Thirteen minutes later we took the lead. Iain Ferguson laid the ball into Joe McLeod path and the youngster's shot from an acute angle went in via the far post. Two minutes form half-time 'Well equalised. We falled to clear our lines and Kirk's cross into.the box was picked up by Steve Cowan who wheeled and smashed a tremendous shot into the top left hand corner.

Three minutes into the second half 'Well went ahead when Steve Kirk followed up to finish a rebound off the crossbar after a Mair cross took a deflection off Gary McGinnis. Within a minute we were level, Ian McPhee curling in a free kick which John Clark rose high to head past Duncan from close-in. The burst of scoring continued, however, and Hamish French put through his own goal a minute later following a Mair corner. The closest we came to an equaliser was a Jim McInally shot which went inches wide and Motherwell struck again in the final minute when Steve Kirk won the ball and ran on to beat Alan Main.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet