Dundee Utd 5 - 1 St Mirren

League - Premier Division
Wednesday, March 30th, 1988, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 6,294
Referee: Mike McGinley (Clydebank)
Dundee Utd  St Mirren

J Alan Irvine (11)
Hamish French (15)
J Alan Irvine (29)
Dave Bowman (32)
Iain Ferguson (51)
Paul Chalmers (3)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Alex Smith

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Eamonn Bannon
J Alan Irvine
Dave Bowman
John Clark
Jim McInally
Iain Ferguson
Hamish French
Campbell Money
Brian Martin
David Winnie
Norrie McWhirter
Peter Godfrey
Keith Walker
Frank McGarvey
Tony Fitzpatrick
Paul Chalmers
Paul Lambert
Ian Cameron

Gary McGinnis
Ian Redford
Kenny McDowell
John Butler

Ian Redford for Eamonn Bannon (70)
Gary McGinnis for Jim McInally (76)
Kenny McDowell for Paul Chalmers (78)
John Butler for Tony Fitzpatrick (78)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 11 apps -
Dave Narey 701 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 649 apps81 goals
Maurice Malpas 340 apps11 goals
Eamonn Bannon 432 apps108 goals
J Alan Irvine 15 apps4 goals
Dave Bowman 82 apps1 goal
John Clark 131 apps19 goals
Jim McInally 88 apps3 goals
Iain Ferguson 95 apps42 goals
Hamish French 21 apps3 goals
Gary McGinnis (sub) 67 apps1 goal
Ian Redford (sub) 135 apps29 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Alan Main (20 years 121 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 257 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 226 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Alan Main (20 years 121 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 257 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 204 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Dave Bowman scored his first goal for the Club.

We recorded our biggest win of the season in fine style, despite going behind in seven minutes. In truth we could, or should, have been three up after only three minutes! French sent over a cross which lain Ferguson headed over. After two minutes Money denied Hamish French with a wonderful save and from the corner John Clark hit the ball past from close in. There was more than a degree of consternation when Saints took the lead. A corner from the right was headed on by Godfrey at the near post and Paul Chalmers applied the finishing touches. Eight minutes later we had equalised and heralded an onslaught on the Saints goal. John Clark rose with Money to a Eamonn Bannon cross and Alan Irvine sweetly hit a right foot shot past Money.

Four minutes later Dave Narey found Hamish French on the half-way line and he ran half the length of the park before hammering the ball past Money. In 29 minutes a corner by Eamonn Bannon was headed back across goal by Paul Hegarty and Alan Irvine hit the ball on the drop with his left foot from 15 yards. In the 32nd minute a run by Hamish French brought a fourth goal, His cross was flicked by Iain Ferguson to Dave Bowman, who rammed the ball home.

We controlled the game until half-time and just after, scored a fifth. In the 51st minute, Dave Narey picked out Eamonn Bannon and his shot was deflected into Iain Ferguson's path and that was goal number five. Apart from Jim Mclnally clearing off the line we cruised through the remainder of the match.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet