Dundee Utd 1 - 3 Dundee

League - Premier Division
Saturday, November 28th, 1987, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 13,626
Referee: Alan Ferguson (Giffnock)
Dundee Utd  Dundee

John Clark (38)
Tommy Coyne (2)
Tommy Coyne (65)
Keith Wright (74)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Jocky Scott

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
Paul Hegarty
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Mixu Paatelainen
Dave Bowman
Jim McInally
John Clark
Gordon McLeod
Kevin Gallacher
Iain Ferguson
Bobby Geddes
Stuart Forsyth
George McGeachie
Rab Shannon
Jim Smith
Gordon Chisholm
Vince Mennie
Stuart Rafferty
Keith Wright
Tommy Coyne
Ian Angus

Joe McLeod
Ian McPhee
Bobby Glennie
Graham Harvey

Joe McLeod for Kevin Gallacher (79)

Iain Ferguson (61)
Dave Bowman (73)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 143 apps -
Paul Hegarty 630 apps80 goals
Maurice Malpas 320 apps10 goals
Dave Narey 683 apps36 goals
Mixu Paatelainen 4 apps2 goals
Dave Bowman 62 apps -
Jim McInally 67 apps3 goals
John Clark 114 apps19 goals
Gordon McLeod 22 apps2 goals
Kevin Gallacher 94 apps21 goals
Iain Ferguson 77 apps38 goals
Joe McLeod (sub) 7 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Gordon McLeod (20 years 92 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 134 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 105 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Joe McLeod (19 years 338 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 134 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 363 days
Domestic Players:12 (92.31 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


We failed to narrow the gap between ourselves and Dundee as they opened up a five point gap over us in the chase for a U.E.F.A. Cup spot. Dundee got off to the perfect start with a goal in two minutes. Keith Wright got in a low cross which evaded Paul Hegarty's efforts to clear and Tommy Coyne steered the ball home from 12 yards. At the other end Jim McInally had a header saved by Geddes at the near post. Billy Thomson had to hastily advance far from goal to clear from Wright. A minute later he had to look lively to stop an Angus header. Gradually we stepped up the pressure as Gordon McLeod shot past after Mixu had created an opening. We drew level in 37 minutes. A Kevin Gallacher header was parried by Geddes but John Clark was on hand to net.

The end to end flow of play continued after the interval. Rafferty was off target with a 25 yard shot and Kevin Gallacher was too high with a first time drive. However, we fell behind when Wright made a run down the right and his cut-back found Tommy Coyne who dummied Billy Thomson before crashing the ball past Maurice Malpas on the line. We immediately replied and won a corner from which John Clark carried the ball past the Dens rearguard but shot past the post. A minute later Geddes brilliantly denied Mixu when he somehow turned the Finns header from an Iain Ferguson cross round the post. In 74 minutes Dundee increased their lead. Rafferty's fierce drive hit the post, rebounded to strike Billy Thomson and the ball rolled in Keith Wright's path and he cracked the ball home. Angus almost made it four when he was wayward with his shot from a Coyne cross. We looked to have reduced the arrears near the end when Iain Ferguson diverted a Dave Bowman shot past Geddes, but Iain was ruled off-side to complete an unhappy afternoon.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet