Dundee Utd 1 - 2 Hibernian

League - Premier Division
Saturday, September 12th, 1987, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 7,920
Referee: Tommy Muirhead (Stenhousemuir)
Dundee Utd  Hibernian

Paul Hegarty (56)
Andy Watson (31)
George McCluskey (58)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Alex Miller

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
John Holt
Maurice Malpas
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Eamonn Bannon
Ian McPhee
Ian Redford
Paul Sturrock
Iain Ferguson
Kevin Gallacher
Alan Rough
Tommy McIntyre
Graham Mitchell
Eddie May
Gordon Chisholm
John Collins
Paul Kane
Neil Orr
George McCluskey
Andy Watson
Joe Tortolano

Dave Bowman
Gordon McLeod
Joe McBride
Alan Sneddon

Dave Bowman for John Holt (66)
Joe McBride for George McCluskey (85)

None. Tommy McIntyre (29)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Billy Thomson (GK) 124 apps -
John Holt 406 apps24 goals
Maurice Malpas 301 apps10 goals
Dave Narey 666 apps36 goals
Paul Hegarty 611 apps80 goals
Eamonn Bannon 407 apps103 goals
Ian McPhee 6 apps1 goal
Ian Redford 112 apps24 goals
Paul Sturrock 553 apps166 goals
Iain Ferguson 59 apps31 goals
Kevin Gallacher 90 apps20 goals
Dave Bowman (sub) 46 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Kevin Gallacher (20 years 298 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 57 days)
Average Player Age:28 years 79 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Gordon McLeod (20 years 15 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Hegarty (33 years 57 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 83 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Not an afternoon to savour as we slumped to our first home defeat of the season. There was an early warning for us after only three minutes when George McCluskey prodded past from a good position and four minutes later Billy Thomson saved well from an Andy Watson shot from the edge of the box. We retaliated with a shot from Kevin Gallacher which Rough saved and a flick, again from Kevin Gallacher, which sailed tantalising wide of the far post. Hibs, however, continued to carry the game to us and in 31 minutes took the lead. Andy Watson cut in from the left and from the rectangle of the penalty box slammed the ball into the top right hand corner. The turning point of the match came in the 44th minute when lain Ferguson chipped the ball home, only to find Kevin Gallacher pulled up for off-side.

We resumed the second half on the offensive. Paul Sturrock and Ian McPhee both going close and our pressure paid off ultimately in the 56th minute, in the most fortuitous of ways. A cross from Ian McPhee found lain Ferguson at the far post. His attempt at goal went square and struck the head of a postrate Paul Hegarty to draw us level. It was a situation we didn't have time to enjoy for long. A couple of minutes later George McCluskey burst through to hammer the ball past Billy Thomson from around 15 yards. There" was some re-organisation in the Tannadice ranks with Maurice Malpas moving into midfield. With 20 minutes left Iain Ferguson was only just off target from close in, but that was our last real opportunity to equalise, so Hibs achieved only their second Premier Division victory from twenty-three visits.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet