St Mirren 1 - 0 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - Quarter Final
Saturday, March 6th, 1982, 3:00 PM at Love Street
Attendance: 9,245
Referee: Brian McGinlay (Balfron)
St Mirren Dundee Utd

Tony Fitzpatrick (69) None.

Team Managers
Ricky McFarlane Jim McLean

Starting Eleven
Billy Thomson
John McCormack
Alex Beckett
Tony Fitzpatrick
Mark Fulton
Jackie Copland
Jimmy Bone
Billy Stark
Frank McDougall
Frank McAvennie
Ian Scanlon
Hamish McAlpine
Maurice Malpas
Richard Gough
Dave Narey
Paul Hegarty
Derek Stark
John Holt
Eamonn Bannon
Billy Kirkwood
Davie Dodds
Paul Sturrock

Lex Richardson
Jim Boag
Iain Phillip
Ian Gibson

Lex Richardson for Frank McAvennie (45) Iain Phillip for Richard Gough (46)

None. John Holt

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Hamish McAlpine (GK) 508 apps3 goals
Maurice Malpas 12 apps -
Richard Gough 33 apps1 goal
Dave Narey 379 apps24 goals
Paul Hegarty 332 apps51 goals
Derek Stark 144 apps3 goals
John Holt 183 apps16 goals
Eamonn Bannon 129 apps34 goals
Billy Kirkwood 208 apps47 goals
Davie Dodds 158 apps57 goals
Paul Sturrock 313 apps96 goals
Iain Phillip (sub) 126 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (19 years 220 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (34 years 53 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 265 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Maurice Malpas (19 years 220 days)
Oldest Player:Hamish McAlpine (34 years 53 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 15 days
Domestic Players:13 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Cup Day in Scotland pitched us in battle with St Mirren at Love Street, a ground United had failed to win at in their last six attempts. After the terrible weather over the winter period, the pre-match schoolkids shoot-out was postponed to give the pitch a chance. United's only change for this quarter final tie was Derek Stark in for Ralph Milne, who was out with flu.

The visitors were first to threaten, with Richard Gough going close from a low Eamonn Bannon corner. Hamish McAlpine then saved well from a Frank MacAvennie header, with the Paisley striker receiving treatment for a bad head knock. (Holt booked). Paul Sturrock laid the ball off to Billy Kirkwood just inside the area, but his shot went the wrong side of the post, and at the other end MacAvennie went close again, shooting over after a good run. St Mirren had a penalty claim waved away by referee Brian McGinley when Frank McDougall went down in the box. Five minutes before the interval, Kirkwood sent Sturrock clear and the striker drew out Billy Thomson, but the keeper smothered the ball from Sturrock's shot. Just before the whistle, Sturrock again tried his luck from 20 yards, but Thomson dealt with the low shot.

St Mirren came close after the break, with McAlpine holding on to McDougall's low shot. Davie Dodds then should have done better when the home defence were caught out with a long ball. St Mirren then took the lead in the 69th minute, when an Ian Scanlon corner on the right was not cleared and Tony Fitzpatrick volleyed past McAlpine into the roof of the net from 20 yards. United failed to find any reply in the final 20 minutes and our interest in the Scottish Cup for the season was ended.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet