Dundee Utd 3 - 0 St Mirren

League Cup - 3rd Round
Tuesday, August 18th, 1992, 6:30 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 5,586
Referee: Douglas Hope (Erskine)
Dundee Utd  St Mirren

Duncan Ferguson (40)
John O'Neil (48)
Duncan Ferguson (77)

Team Managers
Jim McLean
Jimmy Bone

Starting Eleven
Alan Main
Maurice Malpas
Freddy van der Hoorn
Miodrag Krivokapić
Alex Cleland
John O'Neil
Grant Johnson
Jim McInally
John Clark
Duncan Ferguson
Paddy Connolly
Campbell Money
Robert Dawson
Mark Reid
Roddy Manley
Lex Baillie
Roland Fabiani
David Elliot
Paul Lambert
Kenny MacDowall
Jim Beattie
Julian Broddie

Allan Preston
Victor Ferreyra
Barry Lavety
Danny McGill

Allan Preston for Miodrag Krivokapić (46)
Victor Ferreyra for Paddy Connolly (81)
Barry Lavety for Jim Beattie (46)
Danny McGill for Roland Fabiani (52)

None. Jim Beattie (43)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 111 apps -
Maurice Malpas 545 apps19 goals
Freddy van der Hoorn 139 apps5 goals
Miodrag Krivokapić 100 apps1 goal
Alex Cleland 97 apps8 goals
John O'Neil 50 apps3 goals
Grant Johnson 16 apps3 goals
Jim McInally 269 apps15 goals
John Clark 275 apps32 goals
Duncan Ferguson 61 apps24 goals
Paddy Connolly 51 apps13 goals
Allan Preston (sub) 35 apps1 goal
Victor Ferreyra (sub) 28 apps7 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Grant Johnson (20 years 152 days)
Oldest Player:Miodrag Krivokapić (32 years 355 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 137 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Grant Johnson (20 years 152 days)
Oldest Player:Miodrag Krivokapić (32 years 355 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 159 days
Domestic Players:10 (76.92 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

John O'Neil played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.
Miodrag Krivokapić played his 100th major competitive game for the Club.

Another early start and another comfortable Skol Cup success. Saints intention was clear from the very start as they tried to frustrate, fielding five men in midfield. Consequently, United enjoyed almost complete possession, but it took us until five minutes from the interval to finally break down the massed ranks of the visitors. John O'Neil slung over a cross from the left and Duncan Ferguson rapped the ball home from just inside the six yard box. If there were any lingering doubts about a United success, these were dispelled within two minutes of the restart. Money failed to hold Jim McInally's sweetly struck 25 yarder and John O'Neil was first to react, albeit, he was somewhat fortunate to score with a shot which bounced down and over the prostrate body of the Saints' goalkeeper.

The value of that second strike was soon apparent when McDowell struck the bar and Alan Main brilliantly blocked the follow up effort from Broddle. Play was much more open as Saints at last threw caution to the wind, but with 13 minutes left, we deservedly grabbed a third goal. Allan Preston replaced the injured Miodrag Krivokapic who was playing his first match since the 1991 Scottish Cup Final and the substitute's perfectly flighted freekick enabled Duncan Ferguson to direct a powerful header past Money for his second goal which earned him the 'Man of the Match' award made by the sponsors. This thoroughly professional and polished performance extended our 100% League Cup record against Saints in what was our 7th clash in this particular competition.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet