Dundee Utd 4 - 2 Raith Rovers

League - Division One
Saturday, April 18th, 1970, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 3,457
Referee: H Dempsey (Glasgow)
Dundee Utd  Raith Rovers

Ian Mitchell 
Ian Mitchell (4)
Jim Henry (31)
Ian Mitchell (43)
George Falconer
Pat Wilson

Team Managers
Jerry Kerr
Jimmy Millar

Starting Eleven
Don Mackay
Andy Rolland
Doug Smith
Jim Cameron
Jim Henry
Davie Wilson
Dennis Gillespie
Alan Gordon
Morris Stevenson
Ian Mitchell
Tommy Dunne
Bobby Reid
Kenny Brown
Kenny Lindsay
Jimmy Wilson
Willie Polland
Brian Cooper
Pat Wilson
Benny McGuire
Billy Mitchell
Colin Sinclair
George Falconer

Stuart Markland
Tom Hislop

None. None.

Appearances & Goals To Date
Don Mackay (GK) 217 apps -
Andy Rolland 114 apps12 goals
Doug Smith 416 apps3 goals
Jim Cameron 102 apps -
Jim Henry 24 apps2 goals
Davie Wilson 107 apps21 goals
Dennis Gillespie 444 apps114 goals
Alan Gordon 35 apps11 goals
Morris Stevenson 6 apps1 goal
Ian Mitchell 271 apps125 goals
Tommy Dunne 10 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Jim Henry (21 years 58 days)
Oldest Player:Dennis Gillespie (34 years 109 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 152 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Jim Henry (21 years 58 days)
Oldest Player:Dennis Gillespie (34 years 109 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 358 days
Domestic Players:12 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Ian Mitchell fires home a hat-trick to help United to a 4-2 victory over the Fifers. Mitchell was playing the last game before his transfer to Newcastle United and it took him three minutes to get on the score sheet when Polland drove a clearance against Ian Mitchell who stumbled forward to hammer the ball past Reid from ten yards.

United's continuing pressure told after 31 minutes when Tommy Dunne sent Jim Henry away down the right and the half-back cut inside and let fly with a shot which flew into the net. Three minutes from half-time, United made it three thanks to a fine individual goal by Ian Mitchell as he left two players in his wake before crashing the ball home.

Lindsay brought down Alan Gordon and Ian Mitchell completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot to put United four up after 56 minutes. The scoring emphasis shifted to the other end four minutes later when George Falconer drove a spot kick high past Mackay. Raith pulled back another quite out-of-the-blue when Sinclair put Pat Wilson in the clear and the winger made no mistake from 12 yards.

The image shows Mitchell rounding Kenny Brown of Raith to score United's third goal.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet