Aberdeen 0 - 1 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - Semi Final Rep.
Tuesday, April 12th, 1994, 7:30 PM at Hampden Park
Attendance: 13,936
Referee: J McCluskey (Stewarton)
Aberdeen Dundee Utd

None. Jim McInally (70)

Team Managers
Willie Miller Ivan Golac

Starting Eleven
Theo Snelders
Stewart McKimmie
Hugh Robertson
Paul Kane
Gary Smith
Brian Irvine
Eoin Jess
Lee Richardson
Ray McKinnon
Duncan Shearer
Brian Grant
Guido van de Kamp
Maurice Malpas
Alex Cleland
Gary Bollan
Gordan Petrić
Brian Welsh
Dave Bowman
Andy McLaren
Billy McKinlay
Jim McInally
Craig Brewster

Scott Booth
Joe Miller
Christian Dailly
Jerren Nixon

Scott Booth for HUgh Robertson
Joe Miller for Ray McKinnon
Christian Dailly for Craig Brewster (73)
Jerren Nixon for Andy McLaren (81)

Ray McKinnon (28)
Paul Kane (47)
Eoin Jess (88)
Gary Bollan (36)
Billy McKinlay (72)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Guido van de Kamp (GK) 57 apps -
Maurice Malpas 620 apps19 goals
Alex Cleland 154 apps9 goals
Gary Bollan 45 apps4 goals
Gordan Petrić 27 apps -
Brian Welsh 108 apps8 goals
Dave Bowman 301 apps11 goals
Andy McLaren 52 apps4 goals
Billy McKinlay 235 apps19 goals
Jim McInally 336 apps21 goals
Craig Brewster 34 apps16 goals
Christian Dailly (sub) 90 apps13 goals
Jerren Nixon (sub) 15 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Andy McLaren (20 years 316 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (31 years 260 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 122 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Christian Dailly (20 years 176 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (31 years 260 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 167 days
Domestic Players:10 (76.92 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


For the second visit to Glasgow within three days there was only one change in the Tannadice line-up from the first meeting - Gary Bollan coming in for Jerren Nixon who joined Christian Dailly on the bench. United carried off from where they left off on Saturday, probing the Dons defence for an opening, but the game quickly developed into a midfield battle with little by way of goalmouth action, despite the high stakes. After 20 minutes United's ranks were temporarily reduced by one when Dave Bowman had to go off with blood streaming from a head wound after a clash of heads with Aberdeen's Brian Irvine.

The first credible attempt on goal came whilst Dave Bowman was still off having stitches inserted in that head wound, but Shearer's diving header was about a yard wide of the target. That signalled the first significant spell of pressure of the match by Aberdeen, but United countered that with their first comer immediately after the return of Dave Bowman.

It wasn't until five minutes before the break that we had the first serious goal attempt. Guido van der Kamp touched a flying Duncan Shearer header round the post and Brian Irvine directed a header from the resultant corner towards the top left hand comer, only for Craig Brewster to clear his effort off the line. A flurry of United attacks immediately before half time saw Snelders comfortably save a diving header from Craig Brewster and then dash from goal to head clear from Maurice Malpas who had traded places with Gary Bollan to move into midfield.

As at the start United began the second half brightly with Craig Brewster sending in a long ranger, but it was straight to Snelders. Nine minutes into the second period, Shearer turned sharply to fire in a shot on the turn from over 20 yards which had Guido van der Kamp at full stretch to keep out. Next, it was Craig Brewster's turn to have a pot shot at goal with a well struck 35 yarder which was again too close to greatly trouble Snelders. As the minutes ticked by, the prospect of extra-time increasingly loomed, when the Tangerines produced the move of the game to score a goal worthy of carrying us into the Final.

Craig Brewster ran onto a ball on the right, checked and sent over a cross to Dave Bowman who dragged the ball to his left before firing in a shot which Snelders could only parry and Jim McInally had to back track as the ball ran behind him, but he turned to fire a left-foot shot into the far corner from six yards.

It had always looked as though one goal would decide the tie and so it proved. However before the end Christian Dailly with a header and a shot at the end of a run of more than half the length of the park could have scored twice and ensured the remaining minutes were played out safely in the knowledge that a seventh cup final had been booked, but in any event the Dons never looked like re-dressing the balance.



<< Previous Match Next Match >>

Ticket stub / Admission info