Heart of Midlothian 1 - 1 Dundee Utd

League - Premier Division
Saturday, November 6th, 1993, 7:00 PM at Tynecastle Park
Attendance: 8,362
Referee: W Morrison (Carluke)
Heart of Midlothian Dundee Utd

Maurice Johnston (33) John O'Neil (64)

Team Managers
Sandy Clark Ivan Golac

Starting Eleven
Nicky Walker
Gary Locke
Tosh McKinlay
George Wright
Graeme Hogg
Alan McLaren
Scott Leitch
Gary Mackay
John Colquhoun
Maurice Johnston
John Robertson
Alan Main
Alex Cleland
Freddy van der Hoorn
Brian Welsh
Maurice Malpas
Christian Dailly
Dave Bowman
Andy McLaren
Billy McKinlay
John Clark
Craig Brewster

Roddy McKenzie
Neil Berry
Allan Johnston
Guido van de Kamp
Mark Perry
John O'Neil

Allan Johnston for Gary Mackay (71) John O'Neil for Andy McLaren (62)

None. Craig Brewster

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Alan Main (GK) 174 apps -
Alex Cleland 130 apps8 goals
Freddy van der Hoorn 188 apps5 goals
Brian Welsh 82 apps6 goals
Maurice Malpas 591 apps19 goals
Christian Dailly 70 apps13 goals
Dave Bowman 277 apps9 goals
Andy McLaren 41 apps2 goals
Billy McKinlay 209 apps16 goals
John Clark 328 apps37 goals
Craig Brewster 6 apps2 goals
John O'Neil (sub) 84 apps7 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Christian Dailly (20 years 19 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (31 years 103 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 356 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Christian Dailly (20 years 19 days)
Oldest Player:Maurice Malpas (31 years 103 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 277 days
Domestic Players:12 (85.71 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Manager Ivan Golac was able to welcome back the experience of Maurice Malpas and Dave Bowman as we set about trying to record our first victory at Tynecastle since March 1985.

After only two minutes United were unlucky not to go ahead when Christian Dailly got on the end of Craig Brewster's header and whipped in a shot which Walker touched onto the bar. United were unlucky on the quarter of an hour when Alex Cleland's header from an Andy McLaren cross dipped narrowly over. Hearts sparked into life for the first time midway through the half when Alan McLaren's free-kick was deflected inches past Alan Main's right hand post. From the ensuing corner, Alan Main palmed over a Hogg header and then had to do likewise to a fiercely dipping lob from Colquhoun under severe pressure from Maurice Johnston.

Seven minutes later Hearts went in front against the run of play. Colquhoun's corner fell to Hogg whose shot rebounded off John Clark to the feet of Maurice Johnston who wasted not a second in flashing a shot past Alan Main from inside the six yard box.

Immediately on the resumption United had an appeal for a penalty dismissed when Christian Dailly met John Clark's cross and his header was cleared by McLaren with the apparent aid of an arm. the Tynecastle hoodoo looked like continuing especially when Andy McLaren had to go off holding his injured arm, but less than two minutes after coming on to replace him, John O'Neil was to apply the finishing touch to United's equaliser.

Craig Brewster got his head to Alex Cleland's cross and though Walker tipped it on to the bar, John O'Neil was underneath it as the ball dropped to the ground he it prodded it home.

It was no more than United deserved because Alan Main had been relatively idle since Hearts first half flurry, though he did come to our rescue before the end. Seven minutes remained when Craig Brewster shot over, but Hearts swept upfield and Maurice Johnston capitalised on a Brian Welsh error. However, Alan Main parried the shot and John Clark diverted the ball away from John Colquhoun at the expense of a corner. A draw was a fair result but extended United's run without a victory at Tynecastle to 17 games!

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet