Dundee Utd 6 - 2 St Mirren

League - Division One
Saturday, December 28th, 1963, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 6,935
Referee: W Allan (Inverness)
Dundee Utd  St Mirren

Dennis Gillespie (25)
Ian Mitchell (48)
Ian Mitchell (56)
Jim Irvine (67)
Ian Mitchell (75)
Jimmy McManus (88)
Therolf Beck (13)
Jimmy Robertson (68)

Team Managers
Jerry Kerr
Jackie Cox

Starting Eleven
Sandy Davie
Doug Smith
Sid Dick
Tommy Millar
Jimmy Briggs
Stewart Fraser
Jimmy McManus
Bert Howieson
Dennis Gillespie
Ian Mitchell
Jim Irvine
Dick Beattie
Cammie Murray
Ian Riddell
Bobby Ross
Bobby Campbell
John McTavish
Tommy Robertson
Therolf Beck
Bobby Carroll
Willie Allan
Jimmy Robertson

Appearances & Goals To Date
Sandy Davie (GK) 58 apps -
Doug Smith 120 apps1 goal
Sid Dick 2 apps -
Tommy Millar 75 apps5 goals
Jimmy Briggs 207 apps13 goals
Stewart Fraser 190 apps8 goals
Jimmy McManus 4 apps1 goal
Bert Howieson 52 apps5 goals
Dennis Gillespie 178 apps76 goals
Ian Mitchell 56 apps20 goals
Jim Irvine 148 apps74 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ian Mitchell (17 years 237 days)
Oldest Player:Jimmy McManus (-7 years 359 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 357 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ian Mitchell (17 years 237 days)
Oldest Player:Jimmy McManus (-7 years 359 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 357 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Jimmy McManus scored his first goal for the Club.

The opportunity of play this game on the Friday morning actually, seemed remote, with Tannadice icy and unplayable. However, a dramatic change in temperatures during the day and overnight rendered Tannadice wholly playable come kick-off time.

Sporting their all-black strip, United emulated the all-conquering New Zealand rugby tourists, as they produced their best display for some time, in a fast and furious tussle which saw Willie Allan of Saints, and Bert Howieson of United, ordered off. The first half was not indicative of the flurry of goals that was to follow. The 'Buddies', in fact, took the lead when Therolf Beck headed in a Tommy Robertson corner in the 13th minute. It took 12 minutes for United to restore equality, Dennis Gillespie pushing the ball in after Beattie had parried a Jim Irvine special.

After the interval, one-way-traffic was in operation towards Beattie's goal. As the Tannadice all-blacks demolished the Paisley defence. Ian Mitchell notched the first of his 'hat trick' in 47 minutes when a Howieson header hit the bar. Eight minutes later, Ian Mitchell struck again, when he beat two Saints' defenders before shooting beautifully into the far corner. Jim Irvine made it 4-1 with a typical 20 yarder. Saints' winger, Jim Robertson pulled one back almost immediately, but United hit back again in the 75th minute. Jim Clunie stumbled and that allowed Ian Mitchell in to complete his 'hat-trick'. United's sixth and final goal came two minutes from the end, when Jimmy McManus hooked in a Denis Gillespie free-kick. This meeting was a dress rehearsal for the Scottish Cup meeting between the pair a fortnight later, but didn't prove a reliable form pointer. Saints' hanging on for a goal-less draw at Tannadice, winning the Love Street re-play 2-1, and that has been a continuing saga over the years with our frequent cup exits in Paisley, particularly over the past seven years.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet