Dundee Utd 2 - 2 Falkirk

(Lost 5 - 4 on pens.)
League Cup - 4th Round
Tuesday, October 25th, 2011, 7:45 PM at Tannadice Park
Attendance: 4,188
Referee: Calum Murray
Dundee Utd  Falkirk

Johnny Russell (73)
Jon Daly (96)
Farid El Alagui (70)
Ally Graham (118)

Team Managers
Peter Houston
Steven Pressley

Starting Eleven
Dušan Perniš
Garry Kenneth
Paul Dixon
Barry Douglas
Gavin Gunning
Keith Watson
Scott Robertson
Willo Flood
John Rankin
Lauri Dalla Valle
Jon Daly
Michael McGovern
Kieran Duffie
Stephen Kingsley
Darren Dods
Murray Wallace
Stewart Murdoch
David Weatherston
Jay Fulton
Blair Alston
Farid El Alagui
Kallum Higginbotham

Steve Banks
Scott Allan
Stuart Armstrong
Johnny Russell
Ryan Dow
Graham Bowman
Dale Fulton
Liam Dick
Ally Graham
Mark Millar

Johnny Russell for Lauri Dalla Valle (56)
Stuart Armstrong for Scott Robertson (94)
Dale Fulton for Blair Alston (69)
Liam Dick for Kieran Duffie (75)
Ally Graham for Jay Fulton (100)

Barry Douglas (90)
Jon Daly (93)
Kieran Duffie (35)
Dale Fulton (98)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Dušan Perniš (GK) 87 apps -
Garry Kenneth 177 apps7 goals
Paul Dixon 118 apps2 goals
Gavin Gunning 11 apps1 goal
Barry Douglas 37 apps3 goals
Keith Watson 62 apps2 goals
Scott Robertson 97 apps5 goals
John Rankin 16 apps -
Willo Flood 84 apps1 goal
Lauri Dalla Valle 8 apps2 goals
Jon Daly 130 apps45 goals
Stuart Armstrong (sub) 18 apps -
Johnny Russell (sub) 54 apps13 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Lauri Dalla Valle (20 years 46 days)
Oldest Player:Jon Daly (28 years 297 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 249 days
Domestic Players:6 (54.55 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Stuart Armstrong (19 years 213 days)
Oldest Player:Steve Banks (39 years 268 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 198 days
Domestic Players:10 (62.50 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Having overcome Airdrie in the previous round, United were drawn against First Division Falkirk at Tannadice in the League Cup Quarter Final. Peter Houston stuck with the same side that had drawn 0-0 at home to St Johnstone at the weekend with out of sorts Johnny Russell left once again on the bench.

Unsurprisingly United had the better of the chances in the first half against their lower league opposition and after only 11 minutes, Scott Robertson headed just wide of the target. However Falkirk did have some chances of their own with prolific striker Farid El Alagui proving a handful for the United defence. Lauri Dalla Valle went close to giving the home side the lead when his header caught Michael McGovern off his line but the Falkirk goalkeeper did well to tip the ball onto the bar and out for a corner. United hit the woodwork again when a left-footed volley from Jon Daly inside the area crashed off the crossbar with Falkirk living very dangerously.

United passed up numerous good chances in the opening exchanges of the second half before Falkirk took the lead against the run of play in the 70th minute. A cross from substitute Dale Fulton was met by Farid El Alagui whose header beat Dusan Pernis to open the scoring. United hit back almost straight away through substitute Johnny Russell whose tenacity inside the box gave him the opportunity to lash a shot low across the face of goal and into the far corner from the left side of the box. Johnny Russell squandered two further chances in normal time to send United through to the next round but ultimately the match went into extra time.

After only five minutes of the first period of extra time United took the lead: Johnny Russell setting up Jon Daly to fire home from the right side of the box. Daly hit the woodwork for the second time in the match when he rattled the crossbar with a 25 yard volley from a long ball up the field from Dusan Pernis. The game was now end-to-end with both sides creating good chances: El Alagui shot across the face of goal from a narrow angle before Daly headed just wide from a Flood corner. Johnny Russell had an effort from 18 yards saved by McGovern and Garry Kenneth shot wide of target from a free-kick. It looked like United would manage to see the game out with only a few minutes remaining but there was another twist in the tail as Falkirk scored a late equaliser: Ally Graham getting on the end of the clearance from McGovern – which had evaded the United defence – to prod the ball past Pernis.

With the match finishing all-square after extra time, penalties would be needed to decide which of the two teams would proceed to the semi-finals. In the end one penalty miss was enough to decide the shoot-out: Willo Flood blazing over the crossbar at the Eddie Thompson end which cost United a trip to Hampden and sent Falkirk through after claiming a memorable scalp.


<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet