Airdrie United / Airdrieonians (new) 0 - 2 Dundee Utd

League Cup - 3rd Round
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011, 7:45 PM at New Broomfield
Attendance: 1,252
Referee: Bobby Madden
Airdrie United / Airdrieonians (new) Dundee Utd

None. Ryan Dow (11)
Jon Daly (76)

Team Managers
Jimmy Boyle Peter Houston

Starting Eleven
Paul McKane
Jamie Bain
Kieron Stallard
David Lilley
Chris Malone
Sean Lynch
Fraser Keast
Graeme Owens
John Boyle
Ryan Donnelly
Jamie Stevenson
Dušan Perniš
Paul Dixon
Garry Kenneth
Barry Douglas
Gavin Gunning
Danny Swanson
Willo Flood
John Rankin
Stuart Armstrong
Lauri Dalla Valle
Ryan Dow

Connor Fairley
Craig Hill
Philip Johnston
Rhys Devlin
Derek Holmes
Marc McCallum
Keanu Marsh-Brown
Gary Mackay-Steven
Jon Daly
Dale Hilson

Derek Holmes for John Boyle (70)
Philip Johnston for Fraser Keast (78)
Craig Hill for David Lilley (80)
Gary Mackay-Steven for Danny Swanson (60)
Jon Daly for Stuart Armstrong (68)

None. Lauri Dalla Valle (84)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Dušan Perniš (GK) 82 apps -
Paul Dixon 113 apps2 goals
Garry Kenneth 172 apps7 goals
Gavin Gunning 6 apps1 goal
Barry Douglas 34 apps3 goals
Danny Swanson 118 apps11 goals
Stuart Armstrong 16 apps -
Willo Flood 79 apps1 goal
John Rankin 11 apps -
Ryan Dow 7 apps1 goal
Lauri Dalla Valle 4 apps1 goal
Gary Mackay-Steven (sub) 5 apps1 goal
Jon Daly (sub) 125 apps41 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Stuart Armstrong (19 years 178 days)
Oldest Player:John Rankin (28 years 92 days)
Average Player Age:23 years 164 days
Domestic Players:7 (63.64 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Marc McCallum (18 years 181 days)
Oldest Player:Jon Daly (28 years 262 days)
Average Player Age:22 years 272 days
Domestic Players:10 (62.50 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Ryan Dow scored his first goal for the Club.

United entered the League Cup at the third round stage, a round later than most other SPL teams due to the Terrors’ involvement in the Europa League. United were drawn away to Airdrie in a midweek clash and Peter Houston made two changes to his line-up from the 3-1 victory over Inverness at the weekend. Keith Watson and Scott Robertson dropped out of the squad altogether with Barry Douglas and Stuart Armstrong coming into the starting 11. Jon Daly – who had made an impressive return from injury at the weekend, scoring with his first touch on as a substitute – started the match on the bench once again.

Dundee United opened the scoring against their Airdrie counterparts in the 11th minute: a brilliant run through centre of the pitch from Stuart Armstrong culminated in the young midfielder firing a low shot at goal. Paul McKane made a mess of his save, spilling the ball into the path of Ryan Dow who took it around the goalkeeper before slotting calmly into the empty net. Being the SPL side, it was no surprise that the Terrors dominated the opening exchanges with McKane being called into action on a number of occasions to prevent Peter Houston’s men extending their lead. Airdrie did however have a few chances in the first half: Ryan Donnelly squandered an excellent chance for the Diamonds in the 22nd minute: rounding Dusan Pernis after being played through on goal but the young striker could only fire into the side-netting from a tight angle. The home side went close again as Airdrie started coming more into the game: Garry Kenneth sliced a clearance which fell perfectly for John Boyle but his shot across Dusan Pernis’ goal went wide of the post.

After the break United continued to dominate proceedings but the young Airdrie side remained lively. In the 65th minute, Willo Flood played in a cross from the right which was met on the volley by Lauri Dalla Valle but McKane did well to block his powerful effort from 8 yards out. In the 76th minute United did find the second goal which ended any possibility of an upset: Paul Dixon swung in a cross from out wide on the left to the back post where substitute Jon Daly met the ball first time on the half volley and buried it into the back of the net. Full time, 2-0 to United and after the match Peter Houston had this to say about his team’s performance: "Our attitude was spot-on, I thought we worked very hard and we had to work hard. I give all the credit to Airdrie. I thought they were excellent and I was always worried about them getting an equaliser so I was delighted to see the second one go in.” United were drawn against Falkirk at Tannadice in the next round.

<< Previous Match Next Match >>
Programme cover / Team sheet